News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • V2004 Says: “No connection to the internet” when it is actually working

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update V2004 Says: “No connection to the internet” when it is actually working

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        RayG
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 2004 seems to have an issue deciding if it is connected to the internet. The System Tray Icon shows the “World” type icon and it keeps insisting that its not connected. From the fact that I have posted this you will realise that its actually working.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue. Resetting the network has no effect and turning proxy setups on/off etc has no effect and I see a lot of wpad.home errors in my DNS server logs. The DNS server on the system is unbound using DoT and DNSSEC. I had no issues whatsoever with V1909 and the only change is the 2004 update which sneaked itself in this morning when I wasn’t looking via windows update.

Thanks for any pointers

• #2269601 Reply
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

I had this happen on a whole bunch of PCs on V1903…

To ‘solve’ the problem, the following procedure was found to work, for no obvious reason.

1. In Network and Sharing Centre, click on Change adapter settings
        2. Right click on the Ethernet adapter, and choose Properties
        3. At the top, choose Configure
        4. Select the Advanced tab
        5. Select IPv4 Checksum Offload, which will probably be set to “Rx & Tx Enabled”
        6. Change this value to Disabled, and click OK
          After a few seconds, the ‘world’ icon in the system tray should change to the normal ‘rectangular’ icon.
        7. Now change the IPv4 Checksum Offload setting back to “Rx & Tx Enabled” and click OK.
          Having waited a few seconds, there should be no change to the system tray icon.
        8. Things should now have returned to normal!

BATcher

Data is not the plural of anecdote...

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2269623 Reply
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve had this issue with multiple machines over the last couple years but never with mine… until I upgraded to 2004. Tried all of the fixes, rebooting router, reset  and new drivers and nothing seemed to work. Then all of a sudden yesterday it was fine.. until I rebooted!

• #2269625 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I think MS has had a problem with that off and on since the pciclearstalecache days. I run into it here and there, not just on Win10, but Win7/8.1 too.

• #2269633 Reply
            cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

Have never seen it myself until 10, although I’ve read numerous reports from 7 on. The other weird thing I notice with 10 is if a machine connects via wireless to the router, the LAN connection name will sometimes be changed from “Network” to the name of the wireless network SSID. Can be aggravating! Windows 10  definitely prefers wireless over wired connections it seems.

• #2270407 Reply
        RayG
        AskWoody Plus

@batcher

I tried your suggestions but the WiFi adapter does not have those options. What I did find however was the when the Windows Sandbox is installed it runs a Hyper-V virtual adapter which does have those options. However changing them made no difference. I then uninstalled the Sandbox rebooted and that made no difference either. I reset the network, still no joy. I then uninstalled and removed the drivers when prompted all the items in device manager under the network branch and rebooted. It was then working as it should. Windows then decided it wanted to update the WiFi Adapter Driver – and then it looks like the install fails (each time) and when that happens things go wrong. It seems it is a Microsoft Driver Issue See this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/marvell-avastar-related-wireless-connectivity/5ee2de4e-8a2f-4fb5-9b76-adbfbd33397c?page=3

The driver installed at the moment is:

V15.68.17018.116

looks like it will be a while before it gets fixed – not sure how long it will work for time will tell.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by RayG.
      • #2271470 Reply
        anonymous

Hi,  I too ran into this problem on one of my laptops while testing 2004. I tried many many things and eventually –   This is what I did to fix the issue for me (and it so far worked).

Note that I have Fast Startup disabled so your mileage may vary if this is enabled for you.

Regedit > Computer > HKLM > System > CurrentConmtrolSet > Services > NLASvc > Parameters > Internet

Change the value of EnableActiveProbing from DWORD 0 to DWORD 1

Reboot
        Voila

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2271499 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I think this workaround refers to msftconnecttest.com poping-window on the start of Windows system. But it could work somehow to fix @RayG ‘s issue, if this probing defines system try icon status and if it is disabled in his registry.

Also you can try type

nslookup

into elevated cmd, you will see what DNS are you using

then type

exit

and flush cache by command

ipconfig /flushdns

Then restart your PC

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, WX 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by doriel. Reason: tip
      • #2271520 Reply
        RayG
        AskWoody Plus

@anonymous

Regedit > Computer > HKLM > System > CurrentConmtrolSet > Services > NLASvc > Parameters > Internet

Change the value of EnableActiveProbing from DWORD 0 to DWORD 1[\quote]

I will try this to see what happens.

@doriel

I am using unbound as a local DNS server which is started as soon as the interface gets an IP address and it is also using DoT + DNSSEC which is also working correctly.

nslookup http://www.microsoft.com
        Server: localhost
        Address: ::1

Non-authoritative answer:
        Name: e13678.dspb.akamaiedge.net
        Addresses: 2a02:26f0:4000:2b5::356e
        2a02:26f0:4000:2b2::356e
        2a02:26f0:4000:28d::356e
        Aliases: http://www.microsoft.com
        http://www.microsoft.com-c-3.edgekey.net
        http://www.microsoft.com-c-3.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net[\code]

Apologies if I have the formatting codes incorrect

• #2271720 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The NSLOOKUP command won’t do anything – it’s just informational – but IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS might. Try that before the registry change.

cheers, Paul

• #2271756 Reply
        RayG
        AskWoody Plus

All – thanks for your suggestions.

Nothing suggested has worked, it’s strange as sometimes it appears to work and then 10 minutes later its gone again.

Latest updates did/do nothing. The system is still useable its just got one or two annoying issues at this time but they can all be worked around. I even tried using the Media Tool to reinstall windows (keeping apps/files and settings) and that again made no difference. The windows .old folder had also gone, I read that some times when that is automatically removed by windows things are resolved, again that made no difference.

Look like a waiting game…

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: V2004 Says: “No connection to the internet” when it is actually working

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.