News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Vaio E series lines on screen, and what I plan to do about it

Posted on WSpbug56 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: How to troubleshoot hardware problems Vaio E series lines on screen, and what I plan to do about it

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        WSpbug56
        AskWoody Plus

We have a Vaio E Series 15.6 with a I5-430m, on board Intel graphics.  VPCEB1SFX.  When I boot up – IF I can boot, within minutes I’ve got bars all over the screen whether in the BIOS menu or in Win 10, so the problem is clearly hardware.  In fact, it’s a known problem that is said to come from fried graphics hardware, in this case the I5-430M.  Supposedly redoing the thermal paste might help a little bit but not cure it.  So to get the PC to run for more than a few minutes, I need to replace the chip.  It is socketed (someone posted a video  of the exact model, showing the chip including the socket – a G1, 888 pins.  Shows a little ‘knob’ (turned with a small screw driver) to lock or unlock the chip into the socket.  Arrandle architecture. 35 TDP.

There are a bunch of chips with same pins, socket, Arrandale, 35 TDP.  From what I’ve seen, they go up to the I7-540m.  Which of these chips should I get?  New is important – I don’t want an already hosed chip.  The 640m runs about $190 new.  And would run somewhat faster.  Should I get that or try to find one of the cheaper ones?  The laptop is a second in a room where more than one person at a time wants to go online sometime.  Also has a blu ray BD drive (RW), the hard drive is nearly brand new (old one failed, pc worked well once I set up a new one).  Should have 1909, I think 64 bit.

Do I understand this all correctly?  Am I making the right choice?  Might Sony have put a CPU whitelist into the BIOS so that I have to use the 430m, or maybe one or two others only?  Also, might upgrade the wifi (far less important), so same question of white list versus wifi cards.  I ask about this because my HP DV7 came with an awful wifi card and a white list in the BIOS preventing its upgrade.

Thanks!

• #2296655 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I do not have any specific info about the model in question, I can say that it’s unusual for CPUs to fail, including those CPUs with integrated graphics (which is nearly all of them now). When they do, there’s nearly always some other failure that caused it, like insufficient performance from VRM modules on the motherboard, excessive heat, excessive overclocking, or some other thing. If there is such a problem present, simply replacing the CPU would just doom it to the same fate.

If it starts ok and turns bad after a while, it does sound like a heat issue. If it were me, I would certainly try re-pasting the CPU first and see if that does help. It’s much cheaper than replacing the whole CPU, so you might as well try it first.

1c xvIn those cases where it helps but does not solve the problem, it is possible that the thermal paste failed and caused high temps that, over time, caused some damage to the GPU. If that is often the case with this model of laptop, perhaps your CPU has not gotten to the point of permanent damage yet.

As far as BIOS support… you never really know what other CPUs it will work with until you, or someone else, tries it. It would be wise to find out which CPUs were offered by Sony in that model line, and to use one of those. If those other CPUs in that model line use the same motherboard, with the same BIOS, they should work in yours too.

Ones that are not listed may or may not work. Even if Sony never used those models, the support for them may still be in the BIOS. When AMI or other manufacturers of system firmware sell their product to an OEM like Sony, it’s seldom a custom, from the ground up new BIOS. It’s usually one of the standard products that is modified as needed to fit the needs of the hardware OEM, so the support for other CPUs that can use that socket is still there.

Sometimes you can learn about the kinds of things that can be upgraded from others who have taken the risk and tried something outside of the “official” channels, like when I learned that my Asus F8 laptop could accept 8GB of RAM, even though both Asus and Intel said that the max was 4GB. Someone had to go try it anyway in order to learn that it worked, and after they made that info available, I was able to try it with a lot less risk.

As far as the risk of already-cooked chips, I’d just be sure to buy from a seller that offers a warranty. You could test the chip thoroughly during the return period and make sure it is running up to spec.

Group "L" (Fedora 32 Linux w/ KDE Plasma).

• #2296663 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I would connect an external monitor to make sure it’s the video card, not the screen.

If it is hardware then consider the machine as junk and then you can attempt a fix and not care if it doesn’t work.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Vaio E series lines on screen, and what I plan to do about it

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.