News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Various Win 10 1809 Updates

Posted on doneager Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

doneager
      AskWoody Plus

Recently received information from two sources regarding updates available for 1809. Not sure if any of these are rated “ok to install.” Need advice please!

From Woody’s:

4503308 Adobe Flash. Not Patch Tuesday. May I assume that these are always OK to install as soon as offered?

4503327 Cum. Update. Not Patch Tuesday. May I assume that these are always “Previews” and skip them unless marked as urgent?

4504369 Servicing Stack. Not Patch Tuesday. Wrote about these before but never got an answer I could understand. Do I ever need to install these? If so, under what conditions or always?

From wushowhide:

4465065 Update, not cum. This is 2019-02 (February). Understand it is Intel Microcode update. Do I ever need this? If so, is it safe?

Thanks!

• #1846713 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

4503308 Adobe Flash. Not Patch Tuesday. May I assume that these are always OK to install as soon as offered?

YES

4503327 Cum. Update. Not Patch Tuesday. May I assume that these are always “Previews” and skip them unless marked as urgent?

YES, pass on non-Patch Tuesday CUs, they are Previews.

4504369 Servicing Stack. Not Patch Tuesday. Wrote about these before but never got an answer I could understand. Do I ever need to install these? If so, under what conditions or always?

Yes, you always need the Servicing Stack. If you are using Windows Update, you do not have to do anything else, it will be installed automatically with the other updates.

4465065 Update, not cum. This is 2019-02 (February). Understand it is Intel Microcode update. Do I ever need this? If so, is it safe?

I have not been installing the Intel Microcode patches. As yet, there are no exploits in the wild.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1847918 Reply

doneager
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the information. I followed your suggestions as follow:

1. 4503308. Downloaded and installed. Will automatically do the same for all future “Flash” updates as they are offered.
      2. 4503327. Hid it via washowhide. Will do the same for all future CU that are not issued on “Patch Tuesdays.”
      3. 4504369. This one is problematic. Reset SAC Quality from 30 to 0. Waited for over 24 hours for it to be offered as available to hide in washowhide. Never showed up. Should it normally? Should I try to do a manual download from the Update Catalog or is there another way to get it?
      4. 4465065. Hid it. Will continue to do so for any Intel Microcode updates offered in the future.
      • #1847921 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The Servicing Stack is bundled with the CU in Windows Update and does not show up in the list of pending updates in Windows Updaate.
        If you use Windows Update, it will show up in the list of installed updates after you install the CU.
        If you are doing manual updates, you will have to download it separately. Install it first in thei case.

• #1847969 Reply

anonymous

Some more:

June 18, 2019—KB4501371 (OS Build 17763.592)

June 18, 2019 — KB4503864 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019

• #1847975 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Both of these updates are Preview patches – optional, not recommended to install.

Consider it a rule of thumb:
        + Security updates are released on the second Tuesday of the month (B week). These should be installed according to the DEFCON rating for the month’s patches.
        + Any updates released on the third or fourth Tuesday (C or D week), or any time after Patch Tuesday (until the following Patch Tuesday), are Preview patches intended for testing of fixes to be incorporated in the following month’s patches. They are not meant for general public consumption.

• #1847979 Reply

anonymous

Many thanks. I wasn’t planning on installing them, but I didn’t know where else to post that these new ones had just come out. It looks like the event viewer bug is fixed in the CU.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Various Win 10 1809 Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.