News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Version 1803 Home/Pro updating to 1903 from today

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update Version 1803 Home/Pro updating to 1903 from today

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  weedacres 1 month ago.

• Author

b
      AskWoody Plus

Current status as of July 16, 2019:
      We are initiating the Windows 10 May 2019 Update for customers with devices that are at or nearing end of service and have not yet updated their device. Keeping these devices both supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health. Based on the large number of devices running the April 2018 Update, that will reach the end of 18 months of service on November 12, 2019, we are starting the update process now for Home and Pro editions to help ensure adequate time for a smooth update process.

Our update rollout process takes into consideration the scale and complexity of the Windows 10 ecosystem, with the many hardware, software, and app configuration options users have, to provide a seamless update experience for all users. We closely monitor update feedback to allow us to prioritize those devices likely to have a good update experience and quickly put safeguards on other devices while we address known issues. Windows 10 Home and Pro edition users will have the ability to pause the update for up to 35 days so they can choose a convenient time.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1876015 Reply

HotDogginMcG
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve been running 1803 Pro in my corporate environment w/ the following attributes: Semi Annual Channel and a 180 day deferral.  Out of curiosity I started Googling then playing around with a date calculator and my day deferrals on a test machine.

It appears Microsoft officially designated Windows 10 1809 as “ready for broad deployment” on March 28th, 2019.  I set my test machine to 120 day deferral, which would trigger the install on or after July 26th, 2019 (next Friday).  When I checked for updates, there were none available.  I then set it to 105, which would trigger the install on or after July 11th, 2019 (last Thursday) and hit “check for updates”.  Sure enough, the test machine is kicking off the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1809.

Just a friendly reminder to folks to know what their day deferral is and what that means for your environment’s updating process.  If you are on 1803/SAC and have it set to 120, its just around the corner!

• #1876030 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Sure enough, the test machine is kicking off the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1809.

Microsoft isn’t forcing 1809 on 1803 users, it is forcing 1903 on 1803 users :

“We are initiating the Windows 10 May 2019 Update for customers with devices that are at or nearing end of service and have not yet updated their device.”

Microsoft is also pushing 1809 with SAC and 0 days to 1903 (it is past 60 days since initial release of 1903).

• #1876051 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

Microsoft isn’t forcing 1809 on 1803 users, it is forcing 1903 on 1803 users :

You seem to be contradicting what @hotdogginmcg is looking at:

Sure enough, the test machine is kicking off the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1809.

Is “forcing” either appropriate or necessary when we get a “download and install nowoption?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1876058 Reply

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

Is “forcing” either appropriate or necessary when we get a “download and install now” option?

No “download and Install now” option for 1803

Windows 10 Home and Pro edition users will have the ability to pause the update for up to 35 days so they can choose a convenient time.

• #1876064 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

No “download and Install now” option for 1803

Starting with update KB4499183, we are introducing functionality that allows you to decide when to install a feature update. You control when you get a feature update while simultaneously keeping your devices up to date. Feature updates that are available for eligible devices will appear in a separate module on the Windows Update page (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update). If you would like to get an available update right away, select Download and install now. To find out more about this feature, please go to this blog.

May 21, 2019—KB4499183 (OS Build 17134.799) Applies to: Windows 10, version 1803

• #1876073 Reply

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

If you would like to get an available update right away, select Download and install now

You are right.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              b
    • #1876053 Reply

HotDogginMcG
      AskWoody Lounger

I understand that MS is forcing 1903 if a machine doesn’t have update settings implicitly set, presuming it has Pro.  If a machine has been set to SAC-T and to not defer any days, it’s on 1903 already.  If a machine has Pro and the settings adjusted, it *should* not be updated directly to 1903 and bypass 1809.  This was the point of my post/exercise.   (I have to say ‘should not’ and not ‘will not’ because its Microsoft and who knows)

Likewise if 1809 is set to SAC-T it *should not* upgrade to 1903 as 1903 hasn’t been declared “ready for business” (or whatever Redmond’s language is for this now)… at least as far as I can tell.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b
      • #1876057 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Likewise if 1809 is set to SAC-T it *should not* upgrade to 1903 as 1903 hasn’t been declared “ready for business” (or whatever Redmond’s language is for this now)… at least as far as I can tell.

As Woody has pointed SAC/SAC-T doesn’t matter any more.
        1809 with SAC/T and 0 days for feature updates get pushed 1903 as 60 days has passed since 1903 released.

@woody : If I read this correctly (with my jet-lagged brain in tow), this says that if you’re running Win10 1809 Pro, have “Choose when updates are installed” set to Semi-Annual Channel, and have Feature update deferral set to 0, you’re going to start getting pushed to 1903 next week.

Patch Lady – watch those deferrals

• #1876055 Reply

HotDogginMcG
      AskWoody Lounger

To clarify my last post, I’m also fully aware that 1903 and beyond don’t use the SAC-T/”ready for business” terminology.  So I’m very curious to see when 1903 is “unofficially” considered “ready for business” and 1809 machines w/ SAC-T set are automatically upgraded.  This is the magic date that is quite literally impossible to predict in the muck and the mire the terminology changes between 1809->1903 has created.

• #1876127 Reply

weedacres
      AskWoody Plus

I have 20 1803 Pro machines set for SAC and 365 days. My plan was to do an orderly upgrade this fall before the cutoff date. The original plan was to go to 1809 but if 1903 is really ready I’d do that  to save a later upgrade.

Has anyone seen what happens when upgrade deferral is set to 365?

Thanks,, Dave

• #1876128 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

So far, on my 1803 Pro with SAC, Feature Updates deferral = 365 and quality updates deferral = 0, I have seen the July CU KB4507435 offered through Windows Update (NOT checking for updates).

• #1876137 Reply

zero2dash
      AskWoody Lounger

Does not seem to be applicable with deferrals (ie they’re honoring them).
      My 1803’s are set to SAC, 120 day feature deferral, 14 day quality deferral.
      If I leave everything as is but change feature deferral to 0, I am offered 1809.

I would imagine you’d have to be set to SAC (T) [which no longer exists] to go from 1803 > 1903, leapfrogging 1809.

• #1876145 Reply

weedacres
      AskWoody Plus

Let’s hope that holds.

Thanks for the info,, Dave

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Version 1803 Home/Pro updating to 1903 from today

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.