Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 'Versions 1703, 1709, 1803' AND 'Choose When Updates are Applied'

Posted on Jonathan Handler Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge 'Versions 1703, 1709, 1803' AND 'Choose When Updates are Applied'

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Handler 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jonathan Handler
      AskWoody Lounger

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on Version 1703, I have enjoyed the ability to easily postpone Windows Updates.  I continue in my happiness with Version 1709.  My settings are to defer feature updates 269 days and to defer quality updates 30 days and to ignore Pause Updates.

Is it true or false that this quite user-friendly interface exists in Windows 10 Pro Version 1803?

I thought that I saw a comment that this user-friendly interface has been replaced with a more technical, user unfriendly interface, relating to Group Policy, which would become a necessary upgrade to my skill set.  If it is part of Group Policy – or something similar in Version 1803 – how do I get to the correct place and make the correct changes so that I may continue on my somewhat less happy way?

Jonathan Handler

• #197897 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Nope the Settings are still there in the Settings GUI, maybe a slightly different layout but easy to find. Group Policy is Win+R->gpedit.msc->administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Updates->Windows updates for Business. Now that’s where the “Fun” Starts, its either M$ Playing Word Games, or I am not reading this right or??

Win-10-GPOL-1803

Here’s the full text, its either referring to “Insider Builds” andor inc. Semi Annual Channel etc updates”
      Enable this policy to specify the level of Preview Build or Feature Updates to receive, and when.

* Preview Build – Fast: Devices set to this level will be the first to receive new builds of Windows with features not yet available to the general public. Select Fast to participate in identifying and reporting issues to Microsoft, and provide suggestions on new functionality.
      * Preview Build – Slow: Devices set to this level receive new builds of Windows before they are available to the general public, but at a slower cadence than those set to Fast, and with changes and fixes identified in earlier builds.
      * Release Preview: Receive builds of Windows just before Microsoft releases them to the general public.
      * Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted): Receive feature updates when they are released to the general public.
      * Semi-Annual Channel: Feature updates will arrive when they are declared Semi-Annual Channel. This usually occurs about 4 months after Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), indicating that Microsoft, Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), partners and customer believe that the release is ready for broad deployment.

When selecting a Preview Build:
      – You can defer receiving Preview Builds for up to 14 days.
      – To prevent Preview Builds from being received on their scheduled time, you can temporarily pause them. The pause will remain in effect for 35 days from the start time provided.
      – To resume receiving Feature Updates which are paused, clear the start date field.

Preview Build enrollment requires a telemetry level setting of 2 or higher and your domain registered on insider.windows.com. For additional information on Preview Builds, see: https://aka.ms/wipforbiz

When Selecting Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) or Semi-Annual Channel:
      – You can defer receiving Feature Updates for up to 365 days.
      – To prevent Feature Updates from being received on their scheduled time, you can temporarily pause them. The pause will remain in effect for 35 days from the start time provided.
      – To resume receiving Feature Updates which are paused, clear the start date field.

To configure Feature Updates you must have a telemetry level setting of 1 or higher.

If you disable or do not configure this policy, Windows Update will not alter its behavior.

Others to Consider are your Preference of course, “Do Not include Drivers with Windows updates” andor “Configure Automatic updates” both these under the Windows update folderTab both fairly Self explanatory, normally set mine to 2 “notify” and exclude Drivers and it lets you know, before you give the go ahead.

My personal Preference is to use the Settings GUI, 30 and 365 with Semi Annual Channel set. They haven’t “Monkeyed around” with the wording yet again, YET! Hope this helps a bit to clarify, as I seldom use the GPOL as it seemed to delay the Daily Signature updates under 1703 I seem to recall. We have embraced 1803 at work on a test Network, yet to have my curiosity or Interest peeked enough to take the plunge at home 😉

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #197905 Reply

Jonathan Handler
      AskWoody Lounger

BobbyB,

Thank you for your reply.  I decided to settle on 269 days after I had started at 120 (thanks to PKCano, IIRC), 180 (while 1703 was being debugged by the Windows 10 Home crowd) and then 269 (after the first time that a 365 day in settings results in some users being upgraded prematurely).

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 'Versions 1703, 1709, 1803' AND 'Choose When Updates are Applied'

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.