News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Very legible forum

Posted on lysdexic Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

woody 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

lysdexic
      AskWoody Plus

I appreciate all the hard work you fellows are doing but at the risk of being shouted down I must bring your attention to another forum of which I am a member:

https://www.windows10forums.com/forums/windows-10-support.5/

so clear and easy to read. I realise it is beyond your scope at the moment but maybe in the future?

Attachments:
    • #340999 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

AskWoody is based on the original blog, with a forum added on 2 years ago. The site you link is only a forum, and looking at the platform it’s based on, it’s not able to fit our growing components and needs.

We’re benefitting from WordPress’s ability to have functional plugins, which their competitors aren’t seamlessly offering at this stage.

• #341062 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

The page you mention uses vBulletin, which is also the software used at WindowsSecrets.com, Tenforums, My Digital Life, and many other places on the web that are primarily bulletin boards.

AskWoody, for better or worse, is different. It started as a blog in WordPress, and added a bulletin board feature called bbPress. The design (theme) you see now is horrible by modern standards – it’s ten years old, mobile unfriendly, and hard to follow. I’ll change it. But we’re sticking with WordPress and bbPress. They’re stable, and it would be disruptive and cost a fortune to move.

A little thought experiment: What would a blog look like buried in a vBulletin skin? I’ve never seen it done successfully.

• #341236 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I’m wrong. Kirsty traced it down. The site’s software is Xenforo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

It sure looks like vBulletin, but there are differences…. Thx, Kirsty.

• #341265 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

https://www.techsupportforum.com/ = WP blog, forum = vBulletin.

phpBB (example forum) is free and works with WP.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #341546 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

We debated about using phpBB a couple of years ago. I chose bbPress because it’s very stable and has a lot of usable extensions.

We should revisit that decision in a few months.

• #341302 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Has bbPress really not had any updates in the last 18 months, whereas WordPress gets updates at least monthly and sometimes weekly?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant Toxic drinker Saluted blockhead "Unwashed mass" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #341309 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

Ooops. Just found the details. Our version of bbPress was last updated 2 weeks ago.

• #341304 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

Hold down your control key and scroll your mouse wheel up or down. Problem solved. 🙂

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #341307 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Zoom on which site?

• #341311 Reply

Mr. Natural
          AskWoody Plus

You can enlarge the entire contents of almost any screen on your display by holding down one of the control keys and while holding that down scroll your mouse wheel. Hopefully that can appease the OP for the time being.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #341427 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

The site’s software is Xenforo.
      It sure looks like vBulletin

Xenforo is developed by Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan, who developed vBulletin originally before it was bought by Jelsoft / Internet Brands.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Reply To: Very legible forum

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: