News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Video cables

Posted on Erik_S47 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Video cables

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jabeattyauditor 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Erik_S47
      AskWoody Plus

I have an older Gigabyte Nvidia graphics card running two 24″ monitors on my DIY desktop machine. They’re connected with DVI cables. I’d like to upgrade the monitors to touch screens, but most have HDMI connections. Is it okay to use DVI to HDMI adapter cables, or do I need a new video card with HDMI ports? I’m not a gamer and my video performance is just fine; I have no issues with the video card other than it has only two DVI connections.

Thanks in advance.

• #2085123 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I suspect that you will need HDMI video card(s) as HDMI allows full bi-directional comms and DVI doesn’t (basic config only). You should also check the video card will handle the touch comms.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2085281 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

If your current video card can handle the resolution you desire, just get a couple inexpensive DVI-to-HDMI conversion cables (maybe $7 each). They’ll work just fine as long as you’re not trying to push audio to generally-horrible in-monitor speakers.

Most touch-screen monitor interfaces connect to a USB port, so make sure you have a couple open ports for that purpose.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Video cables

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.