News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • VirtualBox CPU use

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 VirtualBox CPU use

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t know where to ask this.. but: does anyone have a feel for what VirtualBox VM [running on win10 with a win10 inside ie] is doing when it [the VM’ed win10] is not doing anything? I fired it up tonight to set it to ‘hide’ the new batch of patches and I happened to notice that while the VM’ed system’s task manager said it was consuming 0% CPU, on my host win10 system it said that VirtualBox was consuming 100% CPU. That’s only 12% of my available CPU power so it isn’t much of an issue but what is VM doing to eat a CPU fully when the client system is completely idle?

• #2085133 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It will be monitoring the guest OS to see if it wants to do anything, but that is a lot of CPU for monitoring. Might be worth a wider search.

cheers, Paul

• #2085870 Reply
          berniec
          AskWoody Plus

It is clear now how I was mistaken.  If  I look at my computer [the ‘host’ in this case], the CPU is always running — even when Task Manager shows 0%.    Just because I’m not doing anything the CPU doesn’t go into some sort of sleep mode.. it just keeping running, checking on the mouse, network, etc, etc .   I realized [DUH] that when I’m running vitualbox, the VB process on my host system *IS* the VM’ed win10’s CPU and so it is doing the same thing for the idle win 10 that my real CPU does for my non-VM win10.  Thanks for opening my eyes…

just got the update to VB..  I’ll prolly install it in a bit

• #2085867 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

It might be worth looking at the current changelogs over at virtualbox.org as there were updates released on the 14th January (don’t know which version you are using nor whether it’s the most recent release)

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: VirtualBox CPU use

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.