News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • VPN Will Not Save Connection Properties

Posted on WSfrankrocap Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration VPN Will Not Save Connection Properties

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        WSfrankrocap
        AskWoody Plus

I can not get the VPN connection properties to “Save”

pre shared key,  username and password .

Win 10 Pro  64 bit   Ver: 1809

This had worked in the past on this computer but now after entering the information

and clicking the save button the info mentioned is not saved and of course I can’t log on.

Thanks,

Frank Rocap

• #2276206 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If you can’t logon to the VPN you don’t want to save credentials. Once you logon credentials should save. Is this what happens?

cheers, Paul

• #2276215 Reply
          WSfrankrocap
          AskWoody Plus

Paul,

On Win 10 settings to set up a VPN connection to use for a remote desktop connection I enter the info listed in my initial post and click save, nothing happens so I click save again, then the vpn set up just re-appears with blank lines.  With no info saved I don’t connect.

Thanks,

Frank

• #2276223 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Try creating the connection via PowerShell. If that works it may be a GUI thing.

cheers, Paul

• #2276236 Reply
        WSfrankrocap
        AskWoody Plus

Paul,

Thank you for your input,  I’ve seen the “power shell”  thing suggested before

when doing searchs.  That is way beyond my capabilities so I guess I just won’t

use that computer for the vpn connection. I will study the info in the link you

sent.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.

Frank

• #2276268 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

PowerShell is just a bit of typing with the appropriate names supplied by you. Nothing difficult. The examples show you where to put the bits required.

I type it all in Notepad etc, check the spelling and then copy and paste into a PowerShell window.

cheers, Paul

• #2279500 Reply
        wsfrankrocap

Paul,
        I did a computer  “reset”  and now the VPN  settings are retained and I am able to log on to the remote site I need to use.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help,  this was the first time I ever did anything like “resetting” a computer. It was easy, just takes a lot of time!!

Best regards,
        Frank

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: VPN Will Not Save Connection Properties

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.