News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Waiting for Windows 10 Version 2004 update

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Waiting for Windows 10 Version 2004 update

• This topic has 21 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        taftbaby
        AskWoody Plus

I have Windows 10 Pro V. 1909 on my laptop. I have settings per PKCano 2000016. Feature set to 0. GP not configured.  Desktop updated last week to 2004. No problems that I have noticed! 🙂    Should my laptop been updated to 2004 by now? Should I use Windows 10 Update Asssistant to install 2004 or BE PATIENT and wait? Thanks for any info!

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

do you have conexant audio on the laptop with W10 1909?

taftbaby
          AskWoody Plus

Yes it says conexant audio input and output

anonymous

Since you have Conexant audio devices on your system, you will have to deal with a workaround to get the upgrade to 2004 to install properly.

I don’t remember if you will be offered the upgrade to 2004 by Windows Update or not because of having Conexant audio on your system.

Plenty of advice about this is forthcoming, I’m sure.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Do you have a recent image backup? Don’t rely on a ‘feature upgrade’ to fix/upgrade a working system, without one. Especially from 1909 to 2004 as the OS core changes.

taftbaby
            AskWoody Plus

Donot have an image backup. Will look into that. TY

WCHS
            AskWoody Plus

Do you have a recent image backup?

Will the ‘system image of drives’ in Control Panel | Backup and Restore (Windows 7) contain all of the files and folders under C:\?

I ask because I am wondering if it will contain the files and folders under C:\Apps, C:\dell, C:\Drivers, C:\ESD, C:\Icons, C:\Intel, C:\IntelOptaneData, C:\Perflogs, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (86x), C:\ProgramData, C:\Recovery, C:\System Volume Information, C:\Temp, C:\Windows, … (see attachment)

I have made several copies on several external drives of all of the files and folders under C:\Users — which is where all of my data is, so I am good on data backup. I just want to be sure I have everything else that needs to be backed up, should I need to “recover” from an ill-fated update.

Attachments:
              Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

The description “system image of drives” implies that every folder will be backed up.
              Unless you can browse the backup or restore it somewhere and test, all bets are off.

Get a free 3rd party backup app and image your disk. We know they backup everything.

cheers, Paul

WCHS
                AskWoody Plus

This is what it says:
                box-for-system-image

Since one of the drives is OS (C:), does that mean everything on the C:drive?

Does anyone else know?

Attachments:
                b
                AskWoody MVP

Yes:

A system image is another way to say “full backup,” as it contains a copy of everything on the computer, including the installation, settings, apps, and files.

How to make a full backup of your Windows 10 PC

1 user thanked author for this post.
          taftbaby
          AskWoody Plus

In device manager/sound, video and game controllers the installed driver is Conexant Smart Audio HD version 8.66.88.56.

PKCano
        Manager

Did you use Susan’s script or the script in AKB2000016 to set TRV to 1909? If so, you need to change it to 2004.

PKCano
        Manager

The workaround with Conexant drivers seems to be:

In Control Panel\Device Manager – click on the Conexant driver and uninstall the driver (DO NOT delete the driver).
        Perform the upgrade when offered the Feature 2004 in WU.
        The upgrade process reinstalls the driver.

The other workaround (which I wouldn’t recommend) is to preform the upgrade and let it fail and rollback. The process will uninstall the driver. Then do the upgrade again.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bashbish
        AskWoody Lounger

I have conexant audio drivers on my Lenovo 510-15IKB (version 1909). I have tried to get Windows Update to offer 2004 by uninstalling the audio drivers.  When I click the “Check for Update” button I get “Up to Date”.

Please tell me the meaning of “Did you use Susan’s script or the script in AKB2000016 to set TRV to 1909? If so, you need to change it to 2004.”

What do I need to do to accomplish this ?  (I am not familiar with scripts)

bashbish
        AskWoody Lounger

thank you for your response.

I looked over the info on the link . It’s over my head. thank you just the same.

I am so p—ed off that MS cannot fix this so the average user can get up to date before the Version reaches end of use. I guess if they do not act by May I am stuck with an end of use OS with no security updates.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Download the Reg File 2004.reg
          Double click on the .reg file, click “Yes” at the UAC prompt.
          Restart.

Let us know how it goes.

cheers, Paul

bashbish
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the info.

I downloaded and ran the registry change as suggested.

Restarted. Uninstalled audio drivers. Checked for updates. Got “Up To Date” notice.

Continue to have “2004 is on its way” notice (see screenshot) which I have had for many months.

Attachments:
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

You probably need to wait for Windows Update to update on its own. This can take a day or two.

In the meantime, download WuMgr and use the refresh icon (circle thingy) to see if it finds any updates – don’t install them from WuMgr, it’s just for a test.

cheers, Paul

bashbish
        AskWoody Lounger

i have updated to 20H2. i found this link in 10 Forums,   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

after uninstalling audio drivers i clicked the link and then i clicked the Update Now button. that took me and my PC on a 90 minute journey to 20H2.

so far no BSOD or malfunctions.

the person who provided the link also had a Lenovo laptop with the offending  audio  drivers .

thank you everyone for your help.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Waiting for Windows 10 Version 2004 update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.