News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Want suggestions for inexpensive NAS for backup

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: What hardware should I get? Want suggestions for inexpensive NAS for backup

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        cellsee6
        AskWoody Plus

I have 6 computers, 3 are running Windows 10 pro and 3 are running Windows 7 pro.
        I have usb drives connected to each to which a backup program (Macrium) writes an image.
        I’d like to use a NAS to store the backups.
        Q1) What NAS would you suggest?
        Q2) What are your thoughts about the QNAP 4-bay NAS?
        Q3.) What are your thoughts about configuring the drives in the NAS as RAID 1?
        With 4 drives I should be able to have 2 RAID 1 arrays, yes?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Maybe start by reading : The best NAS drives 2021

Your budget is also significate factor when investing in a NAS drive as is the max storage of the drive.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hello,
        I have a Synology DS418Play (approx 500 USD without HDDs). And Im satisfied with that. In the 6 year+ usage, I had to replace one HDD. RAID set to 10 (link here). It has a web interface for easy access, but I strongly recommend not to allow the option to acces your NAS via internet – its a tempting target, its OS is very basic, although patched regullary.
        Synology initial setup is very intuitive and quick, there is a wizard to guide you through.

wizzard

I have no experience with QNAP, but I consider it as very solid solutions, since I read good reviews about it.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Cellsee6,

Do you REALLY want to have your backups on a NAS where they are vulnerable should malware get on your computer?

IMHO, that is a very bad idea.

I have a Synology DS220+ that I use for files that I want shared across our 5 computers and daily file backups of our Documents directories. I am very happy with this device. That said, my serious backups are all kept on bare HDDs that I connect via a USB 3.0 dock. By doing this my backups are never exposed to the Internet. I also use Macrium Reflect and I control it via PowerShell which I have disable the Internet while the backup is in progress.

This method is also very cost effective about $30 USD for the Dock (I actually have 2) and less than $100 USD per bare 3.5″ drive. I have 5 1Tb drives and use them in rotation so even if one goes belly up I wouldn’t loose too much.

FYI: My Synology ran $425 USD (DS220+ $221.74 (2) Segate Iron Wolf 4Tb drives $104). My backup setup: iDsonix USB 3.0 Dock (3.5 & 2.5 drives) $27.47 USD. The last time I purchased a HDD was 2016 a 1Tb WD Blue (don’t need as fancy a drive for this vs NAS!) $60 USD. Of course that was 5 years ago much cheaper now.

HTH ๐Ÿ˜Ž

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

cellsee6
          AskWoody Plus

I assume you use a USB doc because you have few usb ports on your computer?ย  I assume I could purchase a 4 port usb 3.0 card and accomplish the same thing?

Would you be willing to share your Powershell code which disables the internet?

RetiredGeek
            AskWoody MVP

No, the dock is to insert 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives into directly with an interface and usb cable to connect them to the computer.

idosonix-dock
            HTH ๐Ÿ˜Ž

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
            Computer Specs

RetiredGeek
            AskWoody MVP

You can find the code in this post.

HTH ๐Ÿ˜Ž

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
            Computer Specs

cellsee6
          AskWoody Plus

Also, what anti virus software did you install on your NAS?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Get a 1 or 2 disk Synology NAS. (I have a one disk unit)
        Create a shared folder. Hide it from the network and users without permissions.
        Create a backup user and give that user write permission. Set your backup software to use that share and user/password for backups.
        Create a recovery user with read only permissions and no password – for restoring files or systems.

If you get ransomware on a machine it won’t be able to write to the backup share so a recovery is always easy.

Backup the NAS to external disk for offsite storage if you feel the need.

cheers, Paul

p.s. I loaded Synology Mail Server on the NAS for disk /system / backup error notification.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Like RetiredGeek, I also used two external USB docks… but one has just recently gone ‘belly up’… no longer responding when connected.

So, being cash-strapped, I’ve been limping along with just the one external USB dock until the next ‘Black Friday’ in November when, if all goes well, I’ll be buying 2 replacements, just in case.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Want suggestions for inexpensive NAS for backup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.