• Want to buy an all in one printer whose cost of ink is reasonable.

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » PC hardware » PC hardware-General Questions » Want to buy an all in one printer whose cost of ink is reasonable.

Author
    Topic

I searched the forums before posting this question.   Could not find any  relevant answers.

I currently have an Epson WF-3720 printer.  Works well.  The cost of ink is absolutely outrageous.

I print something like 40 to 60 pages per month.  I need a color printer whose ink cost is reasonable.

Questions:

What printer would you recommend?
    What is your opinion of the Epson ink tank printers?
    My understanding is laser printers use less ink.  What laser printer might you recommend?
    Thank you for your help.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’ll give you one vote against HP’s 7610 all-in-one series.

Yes, there’s a great A3 scanning table which comes in useful from time to time, but I am driven to distraction by the periodic message “checking printer this process might take several minutes”.  And it does (take several minutes”).  And each time it checks, it uses up imperceptible amounts of ink, just that the cumulative consumption has me ordering new supplies of ink well before I feel that I should have needed to (you know that it’s about the same price as Chanel No 5!)

The HP forum is of no help whatsoever on this error message, suggest updating firmware, which is already well and truly updated.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

1 user thanked author for this post.

I print something like 40 to 60 pages per month.  I need a color printer whose ink cost is reasonable.

Buy a color laser printer. You can buy replacement toners very cheap which may hold for years.

3 users thanked author for this post.

I bought a Canon Pixma G6020, it uses “tanks” for toners, visable so you can tell when you need to refill. It has duplex, copier, scanner, fax, wireless printing, lan printing and usb printing. Has pretty large paper capacity and a rear feed tray. The only issue I found was that the control panel pivots up and down, which is good for visibility, but makes it hard to read and will move down if bumped.

I have a Canon 11×17 inkjet and Canon MF color laser printer.

Both fit different needs.

Ink jet has much better and more accurate color and large size print. Despite liquid ink; I shut it down for 6 mo. every year (travel), bag it in plastic bag, and has never clogged in 2+ years.

Laser is faster, easier, no mess. But colors not great.

Here’s a solution that might work for you as well as it has for me. A few years ago I purchased a wireless all- in-one HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 at Costco. (The current price is about $50.00.) I do not print many copies, usually less than 50 copies each month. Prior to this purchase I had another HP all-in-one and I  began to use HP’s Instant Ink program which you can find at https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/l/.

After I bought my current printer I enrolled it in the program and tossed the old printer.My monthly charge for 50 copies per month is $2.99+tax. The program covers all of the cartridges, colors and black. Any unused copies are rolled over, up to an additional 150 copies. There are other programs that you can check out when you visit the site.

I never run out of ink. When the unit is on, it communicates with HP and whatever ink is needed is mailed to me well ahead of any cartridge running dry. When the printer does it’s maintenance and ink is used, there is no extra charge.

The printer has never been affected by any of the MS patches and it prints, faxes and scans. (I do not use the fax option.)  The printed copies are quite good. The printer has been extremely reliable for the past four years. The only minor inconvenience occurs if I want to print a photo larger than 4×6. Then the print tray has to be removed and the sliders in which the copy paper sits must be adjusted to accommodate the photo paper.

Peace, CAS

3 users thanked author for this post.

If color was not a requirement, a b&w laser jet is a very economical choice. The toner cartridges don’t dry out like ink jet cartridges do if you are an infrequent user, and they last a good while. I got a nice wireless HP LaserJet MFP with a color scanner that works like a champ!

I would probably consider a color laser if I needed color output. I have thrown in the towel on color ink jets though…

An alternative to buying a color laser, is to proof at home on a b&w, then take your files to a copy shop and have them printed in color for you. But at some point, it would probably pay to get your own.

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

I would recommend an Epson EcoTank printer. The difference in ink costs comparing a tank printer verses a cartridge printer is incredible. But you have to pay more up front.

Windows 10 22H2 desktops & laptops on Dell, HP, ASUS; No servers, no domain.

2 users thanked author for this post.

The Consumer Reports 2022 Annual Buying Guide rates dozens of multi-function inkjet printers, including ink cost. I don’t know if it’s available in stores, but an online subscription may give you access to it.

Check your local Library. May have paper copy to read. Many have electronic access for Library card holder and can access CR on line for free; check Library’s “research” area.

We do not have any need to print in color, but we do sometimes scan documents or pictures in color.  In other words, I sometimes scan a color sheet of paper into a JPG or color PDF file.

A few years ago I bought a new Brother MFC-L2750dw (multifunction) laser printer for about $250.   It has been completely reliable, and has more features than we need.  It can print and scan at different resolutions chosen by the user.  There are three different sizes of toner cartridge (think small, medium, and large), and we have only used Brother brand toner so far.

The MFC sits on our network and prints/scans just fine over WiFi from/to Windows, Chromebook, iPhone, iPad.  Brother provides an application called iPrint&Scan for each of those platforms, and it works just fine.  It can print and scan two-sided or one-sided documents.

Laser printers do not clog the print heads, and the toner lasts a long time even if the machine is idle for extended periods.  I fully expect to keep this printer for a long time.

So something along those lines might work for you.

Walmart.com usually has a cheap inkjet printer (usually a Canon). I bought my current printer there for $35 – it has an automatic document feeder – all in all, a nice printer/scanner.

As for ink, I print as much as possible with black ink only; and I refill the black cartridge when it runs out. I haven’t been successful refilling the color cartridge; but since I hardly ever print in color, it’s not a big deal.

After several refillings, the black cartridge needs replacing, so I buy another one.

Printing is very cheap using this method.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 10 running on a separate hard drive

I just ordered Epson ET-2720/Epson L3160 All-in-One Supertank Printer.
      It come with ink tanks (not cartridges) which are equivalent to 80-90 ink cartridges.
      Includes enough ink to print up to 4,500 pages black/7,500 color.
      Up to 2 years of ink in the box and with each replacement ink set…

I bought one of these HP LaserJet MFP’s for $174 about 5 years ago. B&W only, wireless, sheet feed scanner/copier, glass scanner bed. Great color scans!

(old model) https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m130fw

Purchased a replacement toner cartridge about 2 years ago, for $71, and it’s still half full. I probably print about 300 pages/year.

Quite cost effective! 🙂

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Reply To: Want to buy an all in one printer whose cost of ink is reasonable.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: