News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Want to Buy Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade on USB Flash Drive

Posted on Jonathan Handler Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Want to Buy Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade on USB Flash Drive

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
      • #2279269 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The upgrade Home to Pro is $99 US in the MS Store (not on a USB drive). You just change the license key. That’s full price
        I think what you are seeing is the full price of Win10 Pro.

And you can buy the license key for Win10 Pro Retail on PC World for $39 US through the end of July, and make your own bootable USB drive from a free ISO, whatever version you want (1809, 1903, 1909, 2004).

• #2279307 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Is there a reason you want Pro on that PC?

cheers, Paul

• #2279425 Reply
        Jonathan Handler
        AskWoody Plus

Paul, PK,  I am the same person who started thread #2268761.  Please look at my messages there.  This is the “second identical HP Envy x360” that I mentioned in that thread.  This system will be sent to a co-worker in central Ohio once I have configured it the way that I want it to be for this person.

I am going to give my co-worker the same flexibility that I have, even though my co-worker might not take advantage of it ever.

From what I see in both threads, I want to first set up this computer under Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Account. with 1) a userid and password and 2) a PIN.  While doing this I will make sure that Windows Hello and all other forms of lock screen authorization are turned off.

Next, I want to set up a non-expiring local administrator account with a different unique password.  Once I have done all of this, I will restart the computer and test to make sure that everything works the way that I expect it to under Windows 10 Home.  This will ensure that this computer is set up with least privilege under Windows 10 Home.

Now I can shutdown the PC, connect it via ethernet to the Internet and use the license from PC World to enable it as a Windows 10 Pro PC with least privilege.

After doing all of this, the computer will be ready to have Microsoft 365 Business Premium installed on it.

Am I correct?

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

• #2279426 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I’m not sure what you mean when you keep mentioning “least privilege.” An administrator account is the same whether on Home or Pro, you just don’t have Group Policy and some other things like joining a domain available on Home.

Yes, for a $39 license key, you can upgrade Home to Pro by changing the key in the Settings App.

@Paul-T may have some other advice to add.

• #2279568 Reply
          Jonathan Handler
          AskWoody Plus

PK: What I mean by least privilege is that I want to use a standard account and not an administrator account at all times, with the opportunity to move to an administrator account only when I need to be in an administrative account.  The first time that I saw the benefit of this was about a year ago, a few weeks after I had created a local administrator account on my previous system that was running Office 365 Business Premium (desktop applications and cloud services) for my solo entrepreneur business.  Once I had the local administrator account, I converted my Microsoft Account — which was set up by default when I first connected that system to the Internet — from its administrator account status to a standard.

I received an email from a colleague on a weekend afternoon several weeks later in the Microsoft Account.  The email kicked off a message asking me to upgrade to my administrator account.  This struck me as odd.  I chose not to open the email. Instead, I sent a separate email back to the sender asking whether or not he had intentionally sent that message to me, telling him that I was surprised to see that email. He replied quickly that he had been hacked and that malware had sent the previous email to me.  I quickly marked the previous email as spam for Yahoo! email, which is what I use for my personal emails.

Because of that experience, I consider always using standard accounts as a default to be a necessary part of cybersecurity.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.

• #2279578 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

OK, what I didn’t understand was that you were turning the MS Account into a Standard account.

• #2279609 Reply
              Jonathan Handler
              AskWoody Plus

PK,

I understand you better now.  I am sure that I mentioned that before but I have not referred back to it until today.

Doing this makes the Microsoft Account, an account which has other powerful properties, into a much more secure account.

Do you agree?

Jonathan Handler

• #2279615 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Yes, a Standard Account is more secure. Makes sense now.

• #2279848 Reply
            anonymous

Jonathan Handler wrote:
            I consider always using standard accounts as a default to be a necessary part of cybersecurity.

+1

Yes. As the saying goes… don’t run as root.

Hope this helps.

• #2279489 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I can’t see any reason in your previous thread to run Pro, apart from wanting it to be the same.

What you may want to consider is some form of remote control to support your co-worker.

cheers, Paul

• #2279573 Reply
          Jonathan Handler
          AskWoody Plus

Paul,  I continued to use Office 365 Business Premium after the story that I just wrote to PK.  One Day, a few months later, I spilled coffee on my earlier, original, Windows 2in1 and it couldn’t be repaired.  I used a local public library computer to access Office 365 Business Premium in the cloud for a few months and then bought the two identical computers.  The first computer I continued to use with Office 365 Business Premium in the cloud for a few months.  Then I upgraded the account to Microsoft 365 Business Premium in order to include Intune for systems management and additional security.  I find this to be an excellent bundle for functionality and a baseline for security, including Azure Multi-factor Authentication (MFA).

Is that enough of an explanation?

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

• #2279782 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

O365 Premium requires Windows Pro?

cheers, Paul

• #2280064 Reply
              Jonathan Handler
              AskWoody Plus

I do not know off the top of my head at this time. I remember that I liked having Windows 10 Pro in the beginning because I wanted the experience with Pro and wanted to take advantage of the Windows Update management opportunities with Pro when I started dealing with Windows 10 feature updates and quality updates.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279542 Reply
        Zig
        AskWoody Plus

TeamViewer (free) on your end and TeamViewer Quick Support (free) on the other end come to mind.       https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/windows/

P.S, ?How do I post a link to a web page as a hyperlink, without having to post the whole page url??

Zig

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Zig.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Zig.
        • #2279551 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Type the word(s) you want to link.
          Highlight the the word(s)      Teamviewer

Screen-Shot-2020-07-12-at-12.02.43-PM

Click on the “chain” in the menubar, then the gear on the right of the box – link goes in the top box (word already in second box) – Add link

Screen-Shot-2020-07-12-at-12.02.18-PM

Attachments:
          3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2279557 Reply
          anonymous

Jonathan Handler wrote:
          This system will be sent to a co-worker

> TeamViewer (free)

Is TeamViewer free for business use? I thought TeamViewer was only free for private/non-commercial use.

Hope this helps.

• #2279577 Reply
            Jonathan Handler
            AskWoody Plus

You are correct.  I am the founder of a one, soon two, person cloud services provider (CSP).  If I were not a CSP, I could use TeamViewer for non-commercial purposes.

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

• #2280319 Reply
              Jonathan Handler
              AskWoody Plus

I am also aware of a feature in Windows 10, called Quick Access, which is based on Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Among people focusing on cybersecurity in Windows/Office365/Microsoft365, RDP is considered a protocol to NOT implement.

I am hoping that someone reading this thread knows whether or not Quick Access is sufficiently limited in its functionality and well enough tested that it could safely be used as a more limited, more secure version of RDP.

Anyone?

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Handler

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Want to Buy Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade on USB Flash Drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.