News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • want to make D: my default drive, instead of C:

Posted on foxaroni Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 want to make D: my default drive, instead of C:

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        foxaroni
        AskWoody Plus

About a year ago I got an Aurora 7 with a 256GB SSD drive as the C: drive and a 1TB SATA drive as the D: drive. I now have some things defaulting to C: and some to D:. Windows 10 1903 is on C:. Given the option, I install most of my apps to D:. But I find some things going to C:\Users\fbake and some to D:\Users\Frank. (Because of this, both drives have the same file structures under Users\fbake and Users\frank. Often this means searching on both drives to find files. How can I get everything pointing to D: instead of C:? I’ve looked through the registry for C:\Users\fbake entries so I could edit them to point to the proper folder on D:. There were hardly any. Is there an easy way to make this change? Thanks in advance.

• #2231952 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Start, Settings, System, Storage, Change where new content is saved:

How to Change Storage Location where New Content is Saved in Windows 10

(Good for Apps, Documents, Music, Photos, Videos, Movies, TV shows, Offline maps, but the Apps setting there only applies to Windows Store Apps.)

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2232044 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Why do you want to shuffle things to D:? Having everything on the SSD except for static data is the best use of your fast disk.

cheers, Paul

• #2232113 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Does this mean you have 2 user accounts?
        I would make backups before fiddling.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: want to make D: my default drive, instead of C:

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.