News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Warning: Some July Office patches make it impossible to save DOC, XLS files on network shares

Home Forums AskWoody blog Warning: Some July Office patches make it impossible to save DOC, XLS files on network shares

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  seglascoe64 5 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

An emergency report: It appears that Microsoft closed off write access to the older file extensions when they are located on a network share when some
      [See the full post at: Warning: Some July Office patches make it impossible to save DOC, XLS files on network shares]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1876114 Reply

cptomes
      AskWoody Plus

aaaaaaand this is the second worst nightmare of it admins.

“our most used m$ apps can’t save files on the server!  what did you do to the server?  why did you break it?!?!?”

(spend next 2 hours figuring out that people have been installing patches outside of our process and it’s got nothing to do with the servers and trying to explain to managers and department heads why it’s bad to blindly install m$ updates…)

Hey look! Another Feature Update!

You mean I shouldn't click Check for Updates?

Why does it keep saying "Something Happened"?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1876115 Reply

Mr. Natural
      AskWoody Plus

I have around 14 pc’s that have installed the Office 2013 patches mentioned and have not heard from anyone on this. Pretty much all files are accessed on a network drive so I’m sure I would have heard something. We still have a lot of machines that have not been updated so I’ll be sure to mention something if i come across anything.

Our Office 2016 people are on Office 365 so the Office 2016 patches mentioned would not apply to us.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1876118 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Are they using .doc and .xls old file formats?

• #1876120 Reply

Mr. Natural
          AskWoody Plus

I just got on a pc running windows 7 and office 2013 open license with both 2013 patches installed. No problems at all saving .doc and .xls files on network drives. I accessed files from several different servers and no issues to report.

Most of our file servers are running server 2012r2 on vmware. We no longer have any 2008r2 servers and only a few 2016 servers.

My question would be what their servers are running. We seem to have a history of issues with updates and server 2008r2.

Red Ruffnsore reporting from the front lines.

• #1876123 Reply

anonymous

I just saved a file to the old binary .XLS format, from Excel 2013 (with all July 2019 updates installed), onto a server share (2012R2, physical) and no issues here.  Also no problems with an old .DOC file from Word 2013 to/from that same server share.

On a different computer, tried Word 2016 and still no problems with a .DOC file to a 2012R2 server.

• #1876136 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

This post alarmed me as I have a ton of seats that still use the .doc format for their older library.

But . . .  after quite a bit of spot checking and testing . . . I cannot reproduce this.

Both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 workstations.

Both Office 2010 and 2016, opening and saving .doc and .xls both previously created and new on a set of shared network drives and no issues.  Tried with mapped drives and by direct network access via UNC.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #1876226 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I wonder if the key variable is the version of the server?

Haven’t heard back from the original complainer, as yet.

• #1876306 Reply

NetDef
          AskWoody_MVP

In our case we have a mix of Server 2012-R2 and Server 2016 LTSB along with Windows 7 SP1 – fully patched and Windows 10 1803 and 1903.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #1876211 Reply

PerthMike
      AskWoody Lounger

As annoying as it is for Microsoft to apparently have done this without giving proper warnings and update documentation (ha, what a fool I am to expect that), I’ll personally be glad when people can’t save to the insecure .DOC and .XLS file formats.

Lord knows I’ve been hitting our users over the head with repeated warnings to upgrade the documents to the newer file formats for over half a decade.

I even have our spam filter block any incoming .XLS files due to the danger of dangerous embedded code.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• #1876402 Reply

anonymous

I think you have a typo – The update you have listed KB4464572 (for Office 2016) in WSUS KB4464572 shows it is for Excel 2010 not Office 2016.

• #1876541 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yep. I’m carrying forward a typo in the original bug report.

Still haven’t received confirmation… which is troubling. There may be no bug, but the original poster certainly knows whereof he speaks.

• #1877095 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

I wonder if the the issue can reproduced if one opens a DOCX or XLSX file, and then tries to save the file in the older DOC or XLS formats. Somebody at the office may have encountered this issue a couple of days ago. I don’t know what the IT guy did to fix it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1878185 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

There’s been an update on the patchmanagement list from the original poster:

We found one other patch that was also causing this issue:

[“Your changes could not be saved to blah.xlsm because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file.”]

KB4461539 (for Office 2016) also needs to be removed

By removing this patch and rebooting this resolves the issue of saving Excel files to file shares.

Note – we saw issues saving to both .XLS and .XLSX, not just .XLS

For clarity, the updated text is below:

We’ve positively identified three patches that when removed we know fixes this issue:

• KB4475513 (for Excel 2016) = SOLUTION Found from MMH on 7/17

o    Associated with CVE-2019-1110 and 1111

• KB4475514 (for Word 2016) = SOLUTION Found from ATLCBO (but only worked for a short time)

o    Associated with CVE-2019-1084

• KB4461539 (for Office 2016)

o    Associated with CVE-2019-1111

By also analyzing their associated CVE’s and also hearing of issues with Office 2013 as well, we’ve broadened the list to include some of their neighbors:

• KB4464565 (for Excel 2013)

• KB4464572 (for Office 2016)

• KB4464558 (for Office 2013)

o    Associated with CVE-2019-1084

• KB4464539 (for Office 2016)

o    Part of CVE-2019-1084 (for Word)

I still find it strange however that there is ZERO information about this anywhere on the internet yet.

This was a huge impact for us, hoping by getting this out there you all can avoid this.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  woody.
    • #1907845 Reply

seglascoe64
      AskWoody Lounger

We have several computers here that access our company online documentation and since last updates to Office 2016, we have had problems with shared word documents on our servers.  Any version earlier than 2016 isn’t affected.  What is happening, if a user has read only access, in the past, they were able to pull up one of the documents and fill in information on the form and print it out so they wouldn’t have to hand write it.  They couldn’t save the document because they have only read access but they could type what they wanted then print the document out.  After last Office updates, they can still pull the files up but cannot type any information at all in them.  They get a message at the top that the file has been locked for editing.  This doesn’t happen with Office 2003, 2007, 2010, or 2013 and it didn’t use to happen with Office 2016.  It only does this with read only Word documents, not with read only Excel spreadsheets.  Something has changed because nothing has changed on any of the servers.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Warning: Some July Office patches make it impossible to save DOC, XLS files on network shares

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.