News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Was Driver Updates removed from Device Manager?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Was Driver Updates removed from Device Manager?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/27/should-you-install-windows-10s-optional-driver-updates/

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 ver 1909 current thru August.

Feature Updates – 365 day delay, Monthly Updates – 0 days, Group Policy Updates – 2, wushowhide.

This reported change of MS removing driver search and update functionality from Device Manager to Windows Update – Optional Updates was suppose to take place with the August 2020 Security Patches.

Hasn’t happened on my system – anybody seen?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2299504 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Check Group Policy. Do you have drivers blocked from Windows Update?

• #2299510 Reply
          Tex265
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, do not include drivers selected.

Is that what is preventing the “View Optional Updates” from appearing?

If so, why does Device Manager still allow the Driver Update functions?  Would seem appearing and functioning are two different things.  And why no non-driver Optional Updates appearing?  Wushowhide not showing anything pending either.

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
      • #2299540 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/27/should-you-install-windows-10s-optional-driver-updates/

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 ver 1909 current thru August.

Feature Updates – 365 day delay, Monthly Updates – 0 days, Group Policy Updates – 2, wushowhide.

This reported change of MS removing driver search and update functionality from Device Manager to Windows Update – Optional Updates was suppose to take place with the August 2020 Security Patches.

Hasn’t happened on my system – anybody seen?

don’t believe everything you read there, Tex265.

seems to only occur with Windows 10 version 2004 & greater

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by EP.
        • #2299723 Reply
          Bob99
          AskWoody Plus

@EP

I can confirm what you say…I’m on 2004 and the listing in my Optional area of WU indeed lists two Intel system drivers, one dating as far back as 1968, right in the middle of the Vietnam conflict. Strangely enough, though, I do have the ability within Device Mangler to update a device’s driver, just as I had in Windows 7. All I have to do is right click on the device and select “Update driver” from the context menu.

@Tex265

If you’re not seeing it now on 1909, you will indeed see it when you take the leap to 2004 or higher versions. However, since the driver updates are listed as “Optional”, don’t worry about them if you’re not having problems with the device they’re listed for, just like Microsoft says: “If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might help. Otherwise, automatic updates will keep your drivers up to date”. I added the italic emphasis.

In your case, since you have driver updates disabled by group policy, you shouldn’t ever see any driver updates when you check for updates. You will see drivers listed with the optional updates, but only if you click on the blue link to view the optional updates.

BTW, in the event you ever do have an issue with an installed device, go directly to the device manufacturer’s support page(s) to find the driver. Do NOT use the MS-supplied drivers, even though they’re WHQL certified.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Was Driver Updates removed from Device Manager?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.