News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Waterfox confused with Firefox at Netflix causes streaming error.

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Questions: Browsers and desktop software » Other browsers » Waterfox confused with Firefox at Netflix causes streaming error.

Author
    Topic

After being able to do this for years without problems by now, I have been trying since yesterday to watch programs streamed from Netflix with the latest version of Waterfox recently released (G4.0.3.1) and getting the error message you can see in the first screenshot included here. The information found in “Learn More”, as you can see in the second screenshot, is about the version of FireFox no longer being supported.

A glitch? Someone at Netflix has it for Waterfox? What’s going on?

Screen-Shot-2021-12-01-at-1.39.24-PM

Screen-Shot-2021-12-01-at-1.43.36-PM

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
    Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
    Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Install User Agent Switcher and Manager from the Firefox add-on store. Here is the link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-string-switcher/

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks. I installed Agent Switcher in Waterfox, then tried to start the video streaming from Netflix, same bad result as before. Then I closed and then restarted Waterfox and tried again to watch a video streamed from Netflix. Got agai the same message that my “Firefox” version is no longer suported. So: no luck.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Have you checked Waterfox Community Support on reddit? Someone has already reported this there . . .

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B (SaS); Former 'Tech Weenie'

SueW: Following your advice, just now I had a look in r/waterfox and yes, people are seeing the same problem since yesterday (their time) and no, nobody has any idea of what is going on. One of the people commenting on this wrote that they asked Netflix and there they have no idea either, that they did not changed anything that could have this effect. So, right now it is a mystery. But, as misery loves company, now I am feeling somewhat better after visiting Water Fox Community Support in reddit.

? says:

oscar, waterfox isn’t on their list of supported browsers:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/30081

if the browser can run netflix’s speed test then it can run content:

https://fast.com/

if GPT’s user agent doesn’t work maybe download a browser that works with netflix? also see the post from June? https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/useragent-spoofing-in-firefox-and-waterfox/

i’ve changed about:config in ff 91 esr so much i can’t use it to post here… can’t get a reCaptcha only in ff94 regular build

Anonymous: Thanks, but this happened just yesterday. Until then, no problems streaming videos from Netflix. So either at Netflix they have changed overnight the status of Waterfox’s latest version, G4 to: “not supported and go away you despicable wretch”, or else  the explanation for this problem is something else. A problem that, according to my most recent and objective empirical observation, continues as of now.

In the Waterfox support forum at Reddit some people are claiming that they have succeeded to stream once more from Netflix after doing one of those weird things manipulating strings that are never explained properly “because everyone understands me, right?”

Ok, follow-up. I had to trick WF into allowing the updated Widevine by putting the files for 4.10.2391.0 in the 4.10.2209.1 folder. I tried creating a proper folder for the update but something was missing and it wouldn’t detect it was there. Either way, I don’t have to keep using FF so hope this helps someone.

So I’ll just use Chrome. So sue me.

i’ve changed about:config in ff 91 esr so much i can’t use it to post here… can’t get a reCaptcha only in ff94 regular build

You can donate $1 to become a member and avoid reCaptcha .

By the way: That sentence copied by Alex is about FireFox. See my previous comment just before Alex’s, that is also about the full text of a similarly unhelpful piece of advice in r/waterfox.

In short: in my  considerate opinion, at this time, nobody has a clue or a useful piece of information to offer as to what is going on between Waterfox and Netflix.

So I am using Chrome, that works just fine with Netflix, to watch Netflix videos from now on. And also recommend others to do the same, if they are interested in watching the stuff they shell out money to get from Netflix every month.

Waterfox: repent, or I am so done with you here.

When my Pale Moon FF spinoff does not want to load a NF vid I just reload a couple of times and magic. Who knows???

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

wavy: “I just reload a couple of times and magic. Who knows???

Yeah, I tried that already: No such luck. Thanks, anyway.

It looks like is not my browser that does not want to load a Netflix video, it is Netflix that does not want my browser to load it. I am getting more and more convinced that this is Netflix doing.

Why would you, Netflix, do this to me, so suddenly and without previous warning?

Well … We should have warned you, if we cared. So we didn’t.

Just in case anyone manages to miss the it, this thread on reddit has a fix that worked for me, https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/r5yt91/comment/hmwqv4b/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help with finding a solution to this problem.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no solution, other than not using Waterfox to stream from Netflix, but some other browser instead. Which is not really a solution, but a workaround.

Because Netflix streaming continues to be blocked when using Waterfox. On the other hand, it works fine when using Chrome or Vivaldi.

So Netflix has banned Waterfox from streaming, although it is still possible to log in and select something to be placed in one’s watch list using Waterfox. Just not allowed to stream it or anything else afterwards: Still getting the same message I have shown in my first comment, at the very start of this thread. Not likely to go away any time soon, as it is rather clear by now.

According to posts on Reddit you should install Widevine 4.10.2391.0

Thanks Alex. I prefer not to install this thing, because the advice is for Firefox on Windows and my problem is with Waterfox on macOS. Sometimes things are also available for Macs, sometimes they aren’t; sometimes things that work for FF work also for WF. Sometimes they don’t.

When I need to access Netflix, I’ll just use Chrome or Vivaldi. Much easier, because this already works.

My advice to all who care to read this and are using Waterfox Current G3 is: stay on Waterfox G3, do not update to G4 for at least another month from today (11/7/2021); make sure before doing that to find out what people are complaining about G4 at the time.

Make sure to set the updates in Waterfox/Preferences/Settings/General to “check for updates but let you [sic] choose to install them”. You have to scroll the preferences page almost all the way to the bottom to find the “Updates” section. If it is still set to the default “Automatically install updates (Recommended)”,  you are in line to get G4 whether you like it or not. G4 is still being rolled out, so not everybody has it available to install yet.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Reply To: Waterfox confused with Firefox at Netflix causes streaming error.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.