News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • WD My Cloud Mapping

Posted on Herbmiester Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 WD My Cloud Mapping

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Herbmiester
        AskWoody Plus

I have a WD My Cloud NAS. 2 years ago when I got a new laptop I was able to map a drive to my NAS server on my home network. Now, I can’t see the WD drive in Explorer. The mapped drive still works, but I would like to see all the shares I have on that device. I have tried many solutions from when I google it, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my wife has a new laptop and she can see the WD My Cloud in her explorer. I have looked at many settings on her computer and compared it to mine. I can’t find anything that is different. We both have WIN 10 1809.

• #2211468 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

You may need to enable SMB v1 on your PC. Go to Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows feature on or off. Scroll down to SMB 1.0 and click the checkbox. Then OK.

--Joe

• #2211751 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Updating to the latest WD firmware may help.

cheers, Paul

• #2211777 Reply
        Herbmiester

Thank you for the reply, Joe. Yes, I have tried that but doesn’t do anything.

• #2211779 Reply
        barcud
        AskWoody Plus

You may need to enable SMB v1 on your PC. Go to Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows feature on or off. Scroll down to SMB 1.0 and click the checkbox. Then OK.

Joe, I’m on 1909 and explorer displays my WD My Cloud share and I do not have SMB 1 ticked.

John

• #2211796 Reply
        Herbmiester

Well, I have found a solution on the WD My Cloud website.

https://www.westerndigital.com/support

In the MY Cloud Home FAQs, select the How to map a WD Network drive on Windows 10.

Then select Map Drive by IP Address in Windows

Open File Explorer and Enter the IP Address of the WD Device into the File Explorer address bar.
        Use the following format \\IP_ADDRESS.
        Press the Enter key.

The network shares should be visible in File Explorer under Network.

Now you can map a drive letter to any or all the shares on your NAS.

Interesting also is this:
        IMPORTANT Important:

• My Cloud, My Cloud Home, or My Passport Wireless products are not detected under Windows 10 Network
        • For My Passport Wireless products, please refer to Answer ID 24800: My Passport Wireless Samba SMBv2 Connection Message
        • The “Network Browse” function has been disabled on Windows 10 v1709 and higher
        • Guest access in SMB2 has been disabled by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709 and higher
        • Connect, Access and Map a My Cloud password protected Private Share before accessing the Public share

So, this works great for me. I also put the IP share into my quick access in File Explorer.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Herb

Edit to remove HTML. Please use the “Text” tab in the Editor when you copy/paste.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: WD My Cloud Mapping

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.