• Web Apps from Brave Browser

Author
    Topic

The Brave browser allows setting up “shortcuts” from the browser so for example I can open up Protonmail from my desktop instead of going to the website.  This is done by: Opening Brave, navigating to the site (e.g. Protonmail), click on the Brave Menu, More Tools, Create Shortcut, Provide name for shortcut, Open as Window.

My question is:  which is more safe/secure:  Opening Protonmail from the Protonmail website or opening it from the Brave shortcut?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’d sincerely hope that both methods are safe as long as the browser, antivirus and operating system are all up-to-date and patched.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT- AE

Thanks Microfix for the reply.  My browser, antivirus and operating system are up to date.

There has always been a conversation about if it is safer to get email from an email client or directly from the website.  That’s why I was wondering if that applied to getting my emails from the Brave App — would that be the same as getting it from an email client like Thunderbird?

Please excuse my ignorance — I try to stay safe but there are things I still need to learn. 🙂

In an ever changing web climate it’s an ‘each to their own’ scenario however, some things get me twitchy with apps.

There are just too many fixes after the event these days with browsers so, I prefer the ‘old style’ email clients over browser apps, as browsers have evolved into multipurpose gimmick overkill.

Overcomplicating reliable methods seems the norm these days…re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

I’m old fasioned in favor of things that work reliably with a sustainable lazy reassuring ethos, especially with email. (currently a thunderbird user with past clients as livemail 2012, outlook starting with outlook express way back in good ol’ days)

YMMV

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT- AE

Thanks Microfix for your reasoning to prefer the old style email clients like Thunderbird over the browser apps.

One more question:  is using the browser app also less safe than going directly to the email web page and signing in there?  If it is, I will forgo the convenience of the browser app being pinned on my desktop and sign in on the web page.

Thanks for your much appreciated advice!

The email web page and the browser app are the same thing, the “browser app” is just a convenient way to open the browser in a new window at the website you want and bung it on the Desktop.

cheers, Paul

Thanks so much Paul T.  Now I understand what the browser app is doing and I feel more comfortable in my choice.  Thunderbird does not play well on an IMAC (I tried it several times) and I am not a fan of the Mac Mail.  I’ll stick with my present set-up. 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Web Apps from Brave Browser

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: