News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Web of Trust Replacement?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Henwin 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Henwin
      AskWoody Plus

it seems that the Web of Trust browser add-in for Firefox and Chrome has been disabled by Mozilla and Google, since the add-in, apparently is sharing too much data with others, and for a profit no less: (www.pcmag.com/news/349328/web-of-trust-browser-extension-cannot-be-trusted).

So my question: Is there a replacement that is trustworthy and can be used in it’s place?

• #1593648 Reply

OldMainframeGuy
      AskWoody Lounger

I replaced WOT with Bitdefender Traffic Light.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html

Rob

• #1593662 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

It’s not well reviewed on Mozilla – apart from the glowing reviews, which always look suspiciously like ads.

cheers, Paul

• #1594000 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

I replaced WOT with Bitdefender Traffic Light

Bummer, n/a for my browsers Opera and IE. Anyone got a recommendation for those?

Available for: Firefox Chrome Safari

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1593661 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Is it free – it seems to be?
      Does it collect your data?
      Do they sell your data?
      Can’t see anything much on the page you linked.

cheers, Paul

• #1593687 Reply

OldMainframeGuy
        AskWoody Lounger

Is it free – it seems to be?
        Does it collect your data?
        Do they sell your data?
        Can’t see anything much on the page you linked.

cheers, Paul

Paul: It is free but I don’t know if it collects or sells your data (I hope not!). I looked at the reviews on the Mozilla forum and I haven’t had any of those issues. I’m not recommending the add-on; just mentioning that it’s what I used to replace WOT. I figure that between using something like Traffic Light – which may or may not be much more than a placebo – and Symantec’s Norton ConnectSafe DNS (which is sometimes too aggressive in blocking web sites) I’m at least stacking the deck in my favor.

Bitdefender has a good reputation so I don’t have any reason not to trust this plug-in. Yet.

Rob

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Web of Trust Replacement?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.