News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Weird additions show up in startup menu after updating CCleaner

Posted on Moonbear Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Weird additions show up in startup menu after updating CCleaner

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Moonbear
        AskWoody Lounger

After updating to the newest version of CCleaner, I noticed these entries in the startup tab of its tools menu:

MSKSSRV
        MSPCLOCK
        MSPQM
        MSTEE.CxTransform
        MSTEE.Splitter
        WDM_DRMKAUD

From what little I could find these all seem to have something to do with streaming.

I have disabled these entries as a precaution

I also don’t think these were caused or added by CCleaner.

PKCano
        Manager

I believe those files are a part of the Microsoft Streaming Service.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Moonbear
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks @PKCano

So there really is no need for them to be enabled since I’ve never heard of or used Microsoft Streaming Service?

What could make them just appear like that?

(p.s. could you please remove the text file I attached? that didn’t work like I thought it did.)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Moonbear.
            PKCano
            Manager

Have you installed any software that might use the service?
            Or perhaps they have been there for a while and the new version of CCleaner is just now recognizing them?

Moonbear
              AskWoody Lounger

The only new things I have installed in the last few months are the Windows Updates every month and the newest CCleaner today.

As far as I know, I’ve never installed anything that would use a streaming service, I don’t have any games (other than the ones that came installed) or skype or any other similar things on this system.

You could be right about them only showing up because of the newer CCleaner being able to see them.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Did you run the updated version of CCleaner or did those “suspicious items” appeared on its own?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Weird additions show up in startup menu after updating CCleaner

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.