News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Home Forums AskWoody Central Tips for using the Lounge Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

PKCano 5 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Welcome to the AskWoody Lounge!

We thought that giving newcomers a place to introduce themselves would be a nice alternative for us all. It wouldn’t have to be a lot of information, just something so we get to know you, since you’ve decided to join the community.

Before new accounts get the right to post without moderation, they need to submit a contributing post for approval. See our Lounge Rules for further information. Once you’re able to post without moderation, you may choose to post here.

This is a great community, with a broad range of experience, from absolute newbies to those with decades of tech experience… so you should find a niche that suits you…

As you scroll down the left side, you will find ‘Recent Responses’ and ‘Recent Topics’, as well as other links that might be of interest.

You might also check out the Knowledge Base Forum. There is some terminology used only here at AskWoody, regarding Group A, B, and W updating for Windows 7 and 8.1 that you might want to familiarize yourself with. You may be only on W10 and never use it yourself, but it is nice to know what people are referring to.

And there is the ever popular updating information to be found in Susan’s Master Patch List and Woody’s MS-DEFCON system. This post explains the differences between them.

Registration questions or problems should go to Customer Support.

We look forward to your visits here.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #319410 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Yes, by all means have an “Introduce yourself” thread, but I suggest you have a purge facility (> 5 days?) so that that newest introduction post is not buried many pages down under less recent posts.   This from experience on another forum where the “Introductions” thread has 1,456 replies on 59 pages.  See SimSig on rail signalling.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #323887 Reply

furface
      AskWoody Plus

Hello,

I am new to the Askwoody site, so I thought this is a good place to introduce myself and get some pointers on how to look for information related to Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Here is an example of what I am looking for. A Windows 7 machine has suddenly developed a full hard drive. When I examine the C drive, it shows that there is only 150 GB of programs installed on the drive. When I check the drive it shows  450 GB on a 465 GB drive.

To search the windows forums for this issue, how do I do this? I have tried using the “Search the lounge”, but the responses are not in line with my question ie: “Windows 7 hard drive reads full but isn’t”.

If I go to the Windows 7 Forum there appears to be no way to search just that forum.

Any help in using the search function would be appreciated.

Thanks

Furface-newbe

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #323900 Reply

jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

Check C:\Windows\Temp – Windows Updates will occasionally misbehave and leave a ton of files there. It’ll keep doing that until your drive is completely full.

• #323901 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Some things that can do this are an increase in Windows Log Files and an increase in System Restore space. Start with this recent thread, and then go from there searching for some of the topics discussed.

The Forums list in the right “woody” panel is a map of the site. You can use a Google search with “site:AskWoody.com” appended, as well as the site search in the right panel.

If you don’t find the answers you need, start a Topic in the proper Forum. Make the Title of the Topic explain your question so you get the answers you are looking for.

• #324783 Reply

furface

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. This gives me some areas to start looking for a solution.

I’ll let you know if I am able to correct this problem.

Thanks again

Furface

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.