News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Welcome to Access Tech

Home Forums Tech Accessibility Welcome to Access Tech

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

From @elly:

There are lots and lots of people that would have a better tech experience if they just knew how to configure their existing OS better, or knew about accessibility programs or apps that would make things easier for them.

Personally, I have mobility, tremor, pain, and mild vision issues. I’m using classifications that are generally accepted… but they give you only an overview of what I’m dealing with. People with disabilities are not always easily categorized… and what they can do changes from day to day, and over time. People often do not have a language to talk comfortably about what helps with family, or other people they interact with. Too often, it is uncomfortably ignored, although the ADA (Americans with Disability Act of 1990) mandated standards for public access in the US. People all over the world have challenges with their disability, social supports, and access to adaptive resources. In my case, I am progressively becoming more disabled, and need to be proactive in finding information and resources that will help me continue having a full and productive life.

AskWoody has been a valuable resource for me, as my computer helps me access the world… and I’ve become passionate about maintaining it, and making it work for me. I started out here as very non-techy, struggling to just figure out the language of an operating system, and basic patching. Always, the people here have tech knowledge, patience, and an ability to break things down so I can apply what I learn to my own precious laptop. I’ve been able to share some of the basic things I’ve learned with other new non-techies…. @lori made the suggestion… and from my point of view, having a place in the Lounge, where those of us with disabilities can share what works, and what resources are available, is a natural expansion of what is already being done here.

Friends and family are welcome, too. I’d even invite developers to take a look, and share what they are doing to address the issues that come up. Actually, everyone is welcome to participate, as unless you never leave the house, you meet and interact with people with disabilities all the time. Many disabilities are invisible, but many are not. When my disability was invisible, I had to spend valuable time (since it was limited) on my feet arguing with people that thought I was abusing disability parking. Now I have visible disability and have to deal with people looking the other way, and excluding me from casual social conversation… but no one argues the disability parking anymore! The important thing is what and how we can do things to reach our goals, and have a full, interesting, and productive life. Many things that started out as helping disabled folk have been useful to people in general, so value flows both ways. Recognizing that, thank you, Woody, and AskWoody Lounge MVPs… and welcome to Access Tech!

Total of 25 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
    • #190914 Reply

johnf
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi!

I’ve added some info for Windows/Linux. I’m not as familiar with Mac, so I’ll let the Mac users chime in on Accessibilty 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #192172 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

This link is for a page (with links to other pages) explaining macOS accessibility features:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25717?locale=en_US

There are a number of them explained there, helful for several common types of disabilities.

“Sierra” and “High Sierra”, in that order, are the two most recent versions of macOS, but many of these features have been available also in previous versions.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1948544 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

On the topic of Mac’s accessibility features: they are not that different from Windows ones.

I remember that there was a forum already dealing with accessibility. What has happened to it? I am a subscriber, but have not received any messages for quite a while, alerting me to new postings there.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #1948619 Reply

anonymous

It has not disappeared. This topic is posted in the Accessibility forum:

Home › Forums › Tech Accessibility › Welcome to Access Tech

I’m guessing it is an effort to highlight the existing forum along with the new FAQ and other site features. More of a dusting off the bookcase than rearranging the furniture.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Welcome to Access Tech

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.