News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• What does 100% mean?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 What does 100% mean?

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’m doing the July update on my win10/20h2 system.  And about 15 minutes ago began saying “Status: downloading 100%”.    But in that 15minutes it has continued to pulling down data at full speed [NB: no broadband here, so that’s not very fast, but still…].    What is going on?  Does 100% mean something different in windows than it does everywhere else???

1 user thanked author for this post.
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

Quick followup — after a *half*hour* at full-speed [only about 2 megs/sec] it has, at last, started installing.   Is this kind of thing normal?

anonymous

Downloading updates the update from the Microsoft Update catalog has been that slow lately, download speeds were faster earlier this year.

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Bernie,

I have a 200+ Mbps connection and it does the same for me! Well, almost the same. It always stays at 100% for a short period before it starts installing. I’ll look at it and say on 100% start installing but there is always that pregnant pause. I’ve never measured it but it is definitely there even with the speedy connection.
        SpeedTest
        HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

WU monthly CU has usually 2 parts of downloading :
        First part is Service Stake and second part security updates.
        WU may display 100% for the SSU and then resume download for the security updates.

Microsoft promised better update notifications in Windows 11.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

My experinece with 20H2 update status is following sequence of displayed messages:

Installation 1 … 100 %
        Downloading 1 … 100 %
        Installation 1 … 100 %
        Restart
        Installation in the blue screen after boot 1 … 100%
        Login screen
        Blue screen with text “This may take few minutes..”

Very funny 🙂 gets old really quickly if you do several PCs per day like I did.

PS – I think the last percent takes so long, because the installation is testing consistency of dowloaded file, I didnt notice the network load, but Im not saying its not happening.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Restart
        Installation in the blue screen after boot 1 … 100%
        Login screen
        Blue screen with text “This may take few minutes..”

I have always 2 restarts : after first restart updates run to 30% and then restarts and continue update to 100%.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I agree, the number of restarts may vary.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

Interesting. I have never had more than 1 restart when installing monthly patch

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: What does 100% mean?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.