News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • What does 'THANKS SAVED' mean?

Posted on Rick Corbett Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge What does 'THANKS SAVED' mean?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve just thanked a poster but, instead of my username appearing under the post, now see this:

thanks-saved

What does ‘THANKS SAVED’ mean? Held in abeyance until next forum refresh? Saved to my profile?

Attachments:
    • #2010551 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

It means you have just clicked Thanks on the reply in question… that should show in the area below the reply, while your username and gravatar should appear above that, but below the reply’s contents.

Once you have reloaded the page, you should just see Quote below the post, along with your username and gravatar.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2010578 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks, Kirsty. I’m just not used to any delay from clicking on the ‘Thanks’ link. The result is usually immediate. Having never seen this before I was just a little surprised by the change in the normal behaviour.

• #2010592 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I see that, too, from time to time.
        I think it means that your “Thanks” was cached and it’ll appear shortly.

• #2010603 Reply

Kirsty
          Da Boss

I see the Thanks Saved every time I thank:

ThksSaved

Then when the page reloads, it just goes to quote:

ThksReloaded

There is no variation, in my experience 🙂

Attachments:
          2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2010625 Reply

Myst
      AskWoody Plus

It’s happened to me with a slow WiFi connection, but not sure that’s the culprit. There’s a delay and eventually it posts. I’ve also had two “Thanks” post at the same time.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA / MacOS / Chromebook

• #2010639 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

There have been occasional double-thanks noted over the last <3 years, but not often
        🙂

• #2010654 Reply

Myst
          AskWoody Plus

And well deserved no doubt 😊

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA / MacOS / Chromebook

• #2015877 Reply

ibe98765
      AskWoody Plus

I don’t like having to use “Thanks” as a substitute for agreement (or thumbs up).  Thanks should be issued when a poster gives some generally useful info or helps a particular person.

A thumbs up control is necessary to express agreement with something.

• #2016069 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

More concise than having to do a REPLY just to say +1

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2016237 Reply

Kirsty
          Da Boss

Consulting the Lounge Rules… any “+1” is just extra work for the hard-working volunteer moderators to remove:

Examples of non-contributing posts that will not be published include:
          +1;
          emoji; LOL; same here; I agree; interesting comment (all recent examples);
          also: posts that are off-topic; irrelevant kvetching; asking questions already asked or answered; those who just appear to want to be the first to answer a new topic; using txtspk instead of words, etc.

• #2016591 Reply

wavy
            AskWoody Plus

Exactly my point Kristy. The idea would add a bit more depth to the forum AND save moderator effort!!👍

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
            • #2016599 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

There is no “thumbs up” or “+1” button in the WordPress software that runs the AskWoody site. The only option available is “Thanks.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
            • #2016611 Reply

wavy
              AskWoody Plus

Got it! Too bad.

🍻

• #2016610 Reply

ibe98765
      AskWoody Plus

There is no “thumbs up” or “+1” button in the WordPress software that runs the AskWoody site. The only option available is “Thanks.”

I have no experience with WordPress but given the time it has been around, I’d wager that there must be some sort of add-on that someone has built for the software that would allow this!

• #2016782 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

The problem is keeping the number of essential add-ons working happily, without adding superfluous add-ons that may conflict with the infrastructure without providing any tangible site benefits. It’s a tricky situation we are constantly managing.

• #2016788 Reply

ibe98765
      AskWoody Plus

The problem is keeping the number of essential add-ons working happily, without adding superfluous add-ons that may conflict with the infrastructure without providing any tangible site benefits. It’s a tricky situation we are constantly managing.

Understood.

Meaningful feedback helps everyone.  A simple thumbs-up would be helpful.  The default “thank you” isn’t the best vehicle for doing that, IMO.  When I see someone with a large number of thanks I wonder if it is because they shared a lot of good information or was it just because people are using thanks as a substitute for agreement.

• #2016794 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

When I see someone with a large number of thanks I wonder if it is because they shared a lot of good information or was it just because people are using thanks as a substitute for agreement.

I personally don’t see a need to separate those two out. It shows they have contributed in ways that have earnt recognition for their efforts.

We tried a vote up/down on content in the early stages of the Lounge, but it was quickly deactivated!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: What does 'THANKS SAVED' mean?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.