News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • What in the world is Agent Activation Runtime?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update What in the world is Agent Activation Runtime?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

The title says it all. This is an entry in the Task Scheduler that launches agentactivationruntimestarter.exe in the System32 folder, which also has an accompanying dll. Scans with the latest malwarebytes along with Windows Defender prove negative.

I have it disabled for now, but it’s allegedly signed by MS themselves, as their name is listed as the author of the task. I’ve found some reference on the ‘net of it possibly being related to Cortana, but I have Cortana cut off at the proverbial knees on my machine.

Is this something I can safely leave disabled, or does it have to run during a Feature Update to 20H2 or beyond?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

anonymous

Although the initial post above is in the correct forum, some folks don’t look at that, so let me mention something I took for granted and didn’t mention in my initial post above:

My version of Windows 10 is 2004, Pro x64, fully updated to include the November patches.

PKCano
        Manager

There is some information on SuperUser with links to MS docs.
        And another bit on Reddit.
        And complaints about high resource usage on MS.

Seems related to conversational agents and digital assistants.

anonymous

Thanks for the info, goes along with some of the references I found.  I also found a bunch claiming that the whole thing is nothing more than MS spying on us or that the whole thing is non-MS [spy]ware that was planted by way of a drive-by download while surfing an allegedly clean site.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: What in the world is Agent Activation Runtime?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.