News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• What is app and browser control in Windows 10 Security?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 What is app and browser control in Windows 10 Security?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        flyingdutchgirl
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I just upgraded from Version 1909 to 20H2 yesterday (Thank you Susan Bradley for all the posts on Ask Woody, which gave me the confidence to do this!).  In the Windows 10 Security section, I have a notification that app and browser control should be turned on.  My antivirus program is ESET Internet Security.

I have tried to research app and browser control on the internet, and I am not clear on what this is.  Is this an antivirus feature for Microsoft Defender (which I don’t use), or is it a feature in Microsoft Edge for browsing the internet?  Microsoft Edge is my default browser, but I use Chrome 99% of the time.

Should I turn this on?

Thanks for the help.

b
        AskWoody MVP

On the App & browser control page of Windows Security there’s a “Learn more about App & browser control” link to a two-minute video which explains its three main features:

App & browser control: Add protection and online security [Windows Community video]

You’ll probably want to enable everything under the “Reputation-based protection” section, nothing under “Isolated browsing” (unless you switch to using Edge with Application Guard), and leave the defaults at “Exploit protection settings”.

It’s all vaguely related to Defender, but doesn’t require Defender to be the primary antivirus.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1081 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: What is app and browser control in Windows 10 Security?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.