News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • What is the KB number for the May Security-only patch?

Posted on Slowpoke47 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches What is the KB number for the May Security-only patch?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Slowpoke47 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Running Win7 HP SP1 x64 on two machines.  Got the somewhat unusual Special Alert from this forum today regarding a vulnerability calling for installing the May quality-rollup or security-only patch.  As a Group B patcher, I tried to find the specific number for this update on this site and the MS Catalog, but came up empty.  Perhaps I missed it- but could someone please post it here?  Many thanks!

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1629251 Reply

deanwmn
      AskWoody Plus

When I downloaded the available updates, there were only 4 available – the Monthly Quality rollup for Win 7 (KB4499164), the Security Quality rollup for .NET framework for Win 7 and servers, then the usual malicious software removal tool and the Windows Defender updates. Downloaded all 4 and installed them. So far, so good…

• #1629361 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

This is for Group B Security-only updating.

• #1629297 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You can find the Group B Security-only patches you need in AKB2000003. The link is here and there are special instructions you need to follow.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1642706 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you, PK.  I followed the link back to the list of Group B updates from the beginning.  Before I knew about A vs. B, I used the full updates each month.  I searched my installed updates for the first three security-only updates, using the search box on the “Uninstall an update” screen, and the message was “no items match your search.”  At that time I was using the full updates.  So:

1.  Do I need to go back and uninstall all the full updates?

2.  Is there a quicker way of checking for installed updates than the way I did it?  The message above comes up immediately, but I’ve been waiting for the green bar across the top to complete, takes considerably longer.  Is that necessary?

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1642826 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If you have started Group B at some point, you just need to keep using the Group B patches. The one for May you asked about is listed in AKB000003 with the KB number along with the IE11 patch and the pciclearstalecache mentioned in the link above.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1642955 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

If you have started Group B at some point, you just need to keep using the Group B patches. The one for May you asked about is listed in AKB000003 with the KB number along with the IE11 patch and the pciclearstalecache mentioned in the link above.

Understood- As mentioned, I used the A updates for several months before I knew the difference, A vs B.  At that point I began using the B updates instead.  I want to continue doing that, but I’m asking if I need to uninstall any of those A updates or should I just go down the list on the link you provided, and install any B updates that are not currently in our machines, disregarding the old A updates?

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1643068 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Each month’s SOs and the IE11 CUs are contained in each month’s Rollups you did before. You do not need to uninstall anything. If you have installed Group B patches every month since you switched to Group B, then all you need is the May Group B patches listed in that link. Those are direct links to the MS catalog, so are the same thing you would download from there.

• #1705229 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

I’m currently going through the patch history from the start of “A” and “B” updates using the link you have posted (an enormous resource).  When this protocol began, I was not up to speed re update options and so I concluded my only option was to run down the list and try to install every one, which, as you have stated, is a substantial project.  I’m now about halfway through the list, and most patches so far were not yet installed, so I’m correcting that.

Woody’s advice is to install the patches in order.  But there is a sense of urgency about the May security-only update and the companion download.  My question is now- should I do these current updates before completing the old ones?  It will likely take me several more days to finish the list.

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1705370 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Take several more days and do them in order. It will be OK.

• #1706480 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Take several more days and do them in order. It will be OK.

Much appreciated, thank you

Slowpoke (group B)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: What is the KB number for the May Security-only patch?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.