News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • What NOT to remove/deactivate/stop when Setting up W10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 What NOT to remove/deactivate/stop when Setting up W10

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Corbett 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

CBA
      AskWoody Plus

Since “Setting up Windows 10 for the first time” I have been busy removing, deactivating and/or stopping apps, updates and scheduled tasks, etc. In so doing, I may have harmed the performance of both soft- and hardware. Dunno?!

So the simple (?) question is: what should I NOT mess with and leave as-is? Probably lots of stuffs like services and tasks, but, if there are some obvious candidates, kindly let me know.

If this query is too broad to answer, that’s okay.  Things are running well, I think.  TIA

• #1754403 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

We need some information.
      What version (1803, 1809, 1903) and Build of Win10 do you have?
      Is it Home or Pro?

• #1754479 Reply

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

W10 Pro 1809 Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

• #1754486 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You will need to control Windows Update. Here some settings to do so and a discussion.

Here are some suggestions for first-time setup.

• #1754490 Reply

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks.  As it turns out, I’m the OP of the “suggestions for first-time setup” thread.  And, as part of that “grind” I reviewed your and other WU Settings too.  I think I have done fine so far, killed off most Apps-Tiles and the rest.

Too, I have used O&O’s AppBuster and ShutUp to check and control  whatever I can find.  Plus the Task Scheduler to kill the normal Telemetry stuff.

Back to my opening question (inverted): perhaps I have disabled or stopped “stuffs” that could influence performance negatively.  I obviously want maximum performance with the hardware I have and I was looking for leads/ideas to what I absolutely should NOT turn off.

This may well be a silly question and I probably should concentrate on the guidelines on how to tweak W10 during 1st setup.  Which I have with pretty good results, I think!

Note to myself: take a rest and enjoy.  1903 comes soon enough…

• #1754607 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

From my own experience, the ‘Store’ is probably the only part of Win 10 that I don’t mess with as it’s difficult to restore if removed. All else is fair game. 🙂

Having said that, I make copious use of image backups and VM’s to test removal scenarios.

As each ‘tweak’ is tested then it’s added to a script so the ever-lengthening list of actions is automated for future installs.

No doubt some may say ‘why bother?’. Because it’s interesting and fun… I like creating my own versions of utilities like O&O’s ShutUp10 or Geek Uninstaller.

I’ve recently started interrupting the Out Of The Box Experience (OOBE) part of the Windows 10 installation process to use a PowerShell script for cleaning/removing crapware (so changes affect ‘all’ users, not just ‘current’ user) then an AutoHotkey script to apply all my own preferences (like ‘Details’ view in File Explorer).

1903 has proven to be just as tweakable as earlier versions and – surprisingly – has reversed the usual MS trend of adding additional services with each iteration:

1511: 196 services
      1607: 212 services
      1703: 223 services
      1709: 234 services
      1803: 239 services
      1809: 257 services
      1903: 246 services

(using the PowerShell cmdlet Get-Service | measure to count)

Hope this helps…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Rick Corbett.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1754742 Reply

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, sure it helps.  But, when you say “Store” do you mean the MS Store App and all that’s related thereto?  As is obvious, lots of the W10 stuff is new to me (being a W7 holdover before this W10 setup).

Image backups are lifesavers.  I do them all the time.  Less than 2 1/2 minutes to backup all the Windows partitions (4 altogether).  As I don’t always recall tweaks done during the day, I do at least one daily image during this get-to-know phase (and before major installs).

• #1754748 Reply

Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

But, when you say “Store” do you mean the MS Store App and all that’s related thereto?

Yes, the MS Store. I just remove all shortcuts to it but leave the Store itself alone.

• #1757615 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Rick, do you have a link to your process?

cheers, Paul

• #1755010 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I just remove all shortcuts

I have blocked access to Microsoft’s Store using GPEdit.

• #1759106 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Rick, do you have a link to your process?

Hi Paul, I covered the basic process in this post. Let me know if you want more info and I’ll create a new topic with more detail. It’s very easy and – once you get the hang of it – only adds a few minutes to the install. Note that it’s designed primarily for *clean* installs of Home or Pro as it works by uninstalling crapware and creating an amended default profile that’s used as a template for all subsequent accounts. As a result, *all* accounts are affected because the changes are made during OOBE, i.e. before even the first account has finished being created.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1760076 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

As an addendum to my last post. I’ve just used the ‘Windows 10 Decrapifier’ PowerShell script on a current install of Win 10 Home v1803 (as opposed to halting OOBE during a *clean* install) and it seems to have worked fine… although many of the changes will only affect the current account in use, not new accounts.

If you use the ‘Windows 10 Decrapifier’ script then make sure you get the latest iteration (May 21st 2019) as a recent change has added a very useful log of changes made by the script.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: What NOT to remove/deactivate/stop when Setting up W10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.