News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • What OS are you using?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  bbearren 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Razz
      AskWoody Plus

Might be an idea if posters included their specs with their post. It might help keep threads on topic. There’s a lot of Win 10 Pro stuff that has no bearing on Win 10 Home. A bit of discipline would be in order.

ACER E1-572 8GB RAM Intel Core i7 64-bit Win 8.1 Home Premium Office 2013.
      ASUS GL702VS 24GB RAM Intel Core i7 64 bit Win 10 Home 1903 Office 2016.
      LENOVO Yoga 310 4GB RAM Intel Celeron 64-bit Win 10 Home 1903.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2018729 Reply

SueW
      AskWoody Plus

Great idea! One way to do this is to create a ‘Signature’ file (this only works for Members):

Click on your profile name, then on “Edit”
      Scroll way down to “Your Forum Signature” and then fill in the box with your computer specs
      Click “Update Profile” and you’re one and done.

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2018818 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Many of our Loungers (and site visitors) are actively using more than one OS concurrently…
      this has resulted in many very long signatures with specs.

Some have added links to their specs in their signatures, which does save several lines on some topics.
      🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2018821 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

On the other hand, there are those very reasonable loungers, like myself, with very reasonably signatures describing their numerous OS. One admirable example, well deserving of being imitated! Behold, oh loungers, how it is done!

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2018914 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

… so should I list only those I use myself regularly, the others also used in the office and at home, or everything that I get asked to help with?

Because especially the latter group has a whole bunch of different updating strategies required by circumstances…

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2019214 Reply

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

mn-  Others might have the very same question in mind. This is my generic answer to this question, rhetorically directed at “you”:

If you preferred, you could put your favorite quote from Shakespeare, instead — or even leave your signature panel blank. Free country, and all that. No one really has to know your machine(s) specs or the OS(s) you use. But putting some of that information, carefully chosen not to make the signature panel overly long, can help others, loungers, anonymous passers by and MVPs to know what technical issues you are asking or commenting about, because seeing it they might get a better idea of where you are coming from. That said, obviously the choice is all yours.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2019267 Reply

Razz
        AskWoody Plus

I guess I am just getting impatient.

It looks to me like signature specs would not be enough as there are posts, sometimes Letter page in length, that don’t mention the OS in the text nor signature spec, in a thread about Win 7 EOL, that has morphed in to a Win 10 topic and sounds like Win 10 Pro to someone who has never seen Pro, ‘cos it sure does not reflect what Win 10 experience looks like.

So why am I reading that post.

I would suggest that besides the signature spec we take a moment to reflect on whether the post is in the right place and reference the OS or whatever the topic is at the start of the piece. Some are very good at that and write “this is off topic but I’ll be brief” and then get back to the topic.

Needless to say, I too need to improve on this.

ACER E1-572 8GB RAM Intel Core i7 64-bit Win 8.1 Home Premium Office 2013.
        ASUS GL702VS 24GB RAM Intel Core i7 64 bit Win 10 Home 1903 Office 2016.
        LENOVO Yoga 310 4GB RAM Intel Celeron 64-bit Win 10 Home 1903.

• #2019423 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I put my info into the bio for my profile here, but it’s hard to read, as the system saw fit to strip out all of that pesky formatting before mashing it up into one big wall of text.  It’s still there for anyone who’s willing to get through the unformatted mess!

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.5).

• #2018888 Reply

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

Great idea.

Just added my PC specs as my signature.

(this post is actually a test to make sure it worked).

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Motherboard, Intel i5-7600 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 1909 64bit.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2019008 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Some of us have too many to list. As a consequence I only have my favorite computer in my signature. It isn’t the one with the most RAM or the one with the most drives but it is the one I enjoy using the most.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #2019017 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

Excelent. I did this too.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, WX 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2019022 Reply

Grond
      AskWoody Plus

Why not? Let’s see if I did it right.

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 Desktop PC

• #2019282 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

IMO, if everyone were to add such multi-line specs to their signatures, it would make scrolling up and down an already long thread that much more of a chore.

The simplest solution would be for a thread starter who has a computing issue to list the specs for the PC in question within the body of their original post. It doesn’t really matter what my computers’ specs are, so long as you tell me about the computer that’s giving you headaches.

I believe that some tech forums place a request at the top of every page to the effect that posters starting a support thread provide their system info, to make it easier for others to help them. Maybe Woody could do something like that here too.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cybertooth.
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cybertooth.
    • #2019291 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

It doesn’t have to be a multi-line description.  The thread title is “What OS are you using”, not “What hardware and software are you using”.  The OS can be easily summarised in one line, see below.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1909

• #2019450 Reply

jabeattyauditor
      AskWoody Lounger

It doesn’t have to be a multi-line description.  The thread title is “What OS are you using”, not “What hardware and software are you using”.  The OS can be easily summarised in one line, see below.

Assuming you’re using only one, of course.

• #2020251 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

The simplest solution would be for a thread starter who has a computing issue to list the specs for the PC in question within the body of their original post. It doesn’t really matter what my computers’ specs are, so long as you tell me about the computer that’s giving you headaches.

Indeed, that should be standard practice.  Nevertheless, I’ve added a link to my signature for my PC specs.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
      "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: What OS are you using?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.