News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Whatever happened to Opera?

Posted on cybercrone Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 8 months ago.

• Author

cybercrone
      AskWoody Lounger

I used Opera for a long time until I got FireFox, and liked it.

It still seems to be available and trying to compete – so does anyone know what the story is here?

TIA,

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
      She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
      --Mark Twain

• #328851 Reply

Sinclair
      AskWoody Lounger

I used Opera for a long time. I still have a payed for license key for version 3.10. I used Opera 12.18 until way after its due date for not wanting to switch to the later chromium versions. In 2017 I switched to Firefox and have been using that since.

Opera was the little known outsider in the early browser wars. It had excellent render speed and was highly customizable up to version 12 thanks to its amazing Gecko and Presto render engine. Opera was one of the first browsers to use tabs and had an inbuilt e-mail client as well as a torrent client. It could run on very minimal PC specs.

The Norwegian company struggled financially. Opera never caught on to the wider audience. The name Opera was not associated with a web browser. Various schemes were used to try and make money of the product. But ultimately in 2016 most of Opera was sold to a Chinese consortium for $600 million an absolute fortune.

Some of the original software engineers created a follow up web browser called Vivaldi. But this chromium based browser still lacks many customizations of its outdated pre chromium predecessor.

The name Opera and the web browser still exist and are developed by the new owners. But most of the early revolutionary tech that made Opera stand out is no longer used. Because of the new ownership there is also some apprehension over user data privacy.

W7 x64 Pro&Home

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #328905 Reply

cybercrone
      AskWoody Lounger

@ Sinclair – Thanks.  I loved Opera when I used it and cannot remember why I changed, so was curious.  But Chinese made and owned? Not if I have options.

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
      She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
      --Mark Twain

• #329128 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Last time I checked, nothing had happened to Opera. It’s around the 6th most-popular browser, with ~2-3% market share, a share it’s held for at least a decade and which is better than it did previous decade—allowing of course for the impossibility of accurate figures, and huge differences in methodology between measurement companies.

There’s also an interesting fork called Vivaldi, which Sinclair mentioned above. That’s probably the next browser I’ll try out when I get time, but for now Opera does just fine as my main browser. Being based on Chrome’s engine, it can use most of the Chrome extensions, so it’s not lacking for additional functions.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Whatever happened to Opera?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.