News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• What’s the difference?

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge What’s the difference?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

Ever since the Recent Replies list in the sidebar was eliminated, I’ve been looking for a way for visitors to approximate its functionality using existing AskWoody.com tools.

Along the way, I noticed the following. Take a look at the two screenshots at the bottom of this post (taken a few minutes ago within seconds of each other) for the “New posts: Last day” page and the “Recently active topics” page.

Can anybody explain the practical difference between these two?

Thank you.

New-posts-Last-day
        Recently-active-topics

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

Beats me Cybertooth, I don’t see it.
        I too miss the recent replies. It was such a nice way to keep track on the interesting things and tools that others moved to answer here.
        Come back very frequent to look for what’s interesting and changed? Doesn’t work for me.

~
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

It appears that as you run through the succession of “New Posts” links, from “Last Day”, to “Last Three Days”, to “Last Week”, to “Last Month”, the difference is that they have successively more pages because they have successively more entries because they cover successively longer time periods. Put somewhat differently, all the entries in the “Last Day” are contained in the “Last Three Days” and all of those entries are in the “Last Week”

If you’ve been away from the site for 5 days, perhaps you want to see all the posts for the last week instead of just those for the last 3 days. You can undoubtedly come up with other scenarios, some of which may or may not apply to you.

It also appears that “Recently Active Topics” contains entries going back at least 20 years, so IMHO the title of that link is lacking in accuracy.

I’m not saying any of this is either good or bad. I’m just saying that this is apparently how it works. I’ve expressed my opinions regarding the new approach in the “Doing a bit of reorganizing” topic.

anonymous

Previously when I clicked on a reply I would be taken directly to that reply.  Now I have to scroll from the beginning of the thread all the way down to the reply.  Is it just me?  Because in a long thread it’s a lot of scrolling down.  I also miss the preview of the first few words of the reply but not as much as the scrolling all the way down.

b
          AskWoody MVP

Previously when I clicked on a reply I would be taken directly to that reply.  Now I have to scroll from the beginning of the thread all the way down to the reply.  Is it just me?  Because in a long thread it’s a lot of scrolling down. 

Click on the time (e.g. 15 minutes ago) in the Last Post column to go to the latest reply.

I also miss the preview of the first few words of the reply

Me too!

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1151 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

2 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Thanks so very much b.  Works like a charm and you have saved me hours of work! 🙂

b
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: What’s the difference?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.