News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • WhatsApp making data-sharing with FaceBook mandatory

Posted on ScotchJohn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Social media – Tools, Configuring privacy options WhatsApp making data-sharing with FaceBook mandatory

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll admit it, I’m a social media sceptic.

I use WhatsApp (if you must know, to chat to people with whom we are playing bridge on BridgeBase online), but am resolutely opposed to opening up all my contacts to FB.

As a sceptic, I have denied FB access to all my contacts, and have entered manually the phone details of those with whom we play bridge.

Now, Gunter Born posts that new WhatsApp conditions will make data-sharing with FaceBook mandatory.  Is this going to mean that all my contacts are exposed to FaceBook?

The only alternative is to stop altogether using WhatsApp.

Thank you, Zuck!

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Link to the Born City article (German only).

I can’t see any mention of your contacts being opened to Facebook, but WhatsApp is accused of breaking GDPR.

Up to you whether you trust Zuckerberg with your data – I wouldn’t.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
          b
          AskWoody Plus

Link to the Born City article (German only).

I can’t see any mention of your contacts being opened to Facebook,

How did you interpret this bit?

In concrete terms, whatsApp is now forced to share data with Facebook. This includes the phone number, transaction data, and IP addresses. The news also reveals that these changes will take effect on February 8, 2021, and that users will have no choice but to accept these changes. Otherwise, they will no longer be able to use WhatsApp.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT- AE
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I’m changing to Signal.  One of my bridge-playing friends, possibly the least tech-aware, phoned to say that his son-in-law had been urging him to change away from WhatsApp, and had mentioned Signal.  Thus, when I mentioned moving away, he was ready to go.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

b
        AskWoody Plus

I’m changing to Signal.

How-To Geek published two informative articles about Signal yesterday:

What Is Signal, and Why Is Everyone Using It?

How to Protect Signal Messages With a Passcode

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: WhatsApp making data-sharing with FaceBook mandatory

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.