News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • When does Windows Update check for updates?

Posted on KYKaren Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update When does Windows Update check for updates?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  EP 5 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

KYKaren
      AskWoody Plus

Is there some way to see when Windows Update is scheduled to “Check for Updates”?

On my 1909 device, I have Feature Updates set to 365, Quality Updates set to 0, Group Policy Editor>Automatic Windows Update set to #2 “Notify download/install”, and wushowhide on my Desktop. Yesterday, Feb 11, I used wushowhide to hide the February Tuesday patches — the CU 2020-02 KB4532693, the February MSRT, and the 2020-02 Adobe Flash Player KB4537759. {I know that I should uninstall/disable Adobe Flash Player and I’ve received a post on how to do this herehow to get rid of F P

I have now unhidden the Febrary MSRT, but I haven’t yet been notified to download and install it, as the Group Policy Editor setting is supposed to do. I understand the Task Scheduler takes care of checking the queue and posting the download/install notification.

Is there a way to see when the Task Scheduler is supposed to do this?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
      Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
      Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

• #2139403 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

When does Windows Update check for updates?

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2140617 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

virtually anytime Win10 wants to

• #2139450 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Check Control Panel, Security and Maintenance, Maintenance, Automatic Maintenance, Change maintenance settings (or search Settings for “automatic m”):

How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2139654 Reply

KYKaren
        AskWoody Plus

So, it’s called “maintenance”!! It seems that I don’t know the right search terms for stuff I want to know … thanks again for pointing me in the right direction (again).

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

b

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: When does Windows Update check for updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.