News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• When I start my pc screen says “shutting down”.

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 When I start my pc screen says “shutting down”.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        krissysmom
        AskWoody Lounger

My dell laptop does not shut down when I close all open windows and then click on

shut down. The screen goes dark, the keyboard lights go out, I close the laptop. Next

time I turn it on, it puts up a marroon screen that says “shutting down”. It finishes

shutting down, goes dark. Then when I depress the start button again, it will start

normally the second time.  I have been researching. Somebody says Chrome might have

been corrupted, so I deleted chrome and intend to reload a new version. But deleting

chrome made no difference. I have been through systems, etc and checked all the proper boxes. Why won’t my pc shut down correctly?  thank you. Krissys mom

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

What are your Windows setting in Power when closing the lid ?
        Disable ‘fast startup’.

Attachments:
        anonymous

Wait a little more, before Windows really sends the signal to turn off you can by closing the laptop still put the computer to sleep mode while it is in the process of shutting down.

If you have an indicator light for the hard drive watch it, that one will be the next to last thing to turn off. If you have no hard drive indicator light as some manufacturers have chosen to remove them, very late in the shutdown process Windows will turn off the mouse cursor.

(You also may not have a hard drive indicator light if the computer has a solid state drive.)

bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

Every time my laptop has done that was because the battery was dead.  Plug in the charger.

krism
        AskWoody Plus

I suggest killing hibernate.

powercfg.exe -h off

in admin mode.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: When I start my pc screen says “shutting down”.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.