News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • When Linux Crashes… Don’t Panic.

Posted on firemind Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros When Linux Crashes… Don’t Panic.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        firemind
        AskWoody Lounger

I had my first crash in Linux Mint 19.3 late last night. Crashes in Windows could involve an hour of safe mode + virus scanning + recovery and maybe more. Things were easier in Mint but small changes could still cause unexpected things to happen. I only had one dialogue to reset/restart Cinnamon but the reports page shows a few more crashes.

All of this caused by a game.

All of my big games have been Wine, Snap, or Flatpak and don’t mess with the system too much. This last game (UFO AI) came from the regular repository and was only 1G in size but was slooow to download and install. The game ran okay but fullscreen mode had an annoying effect of the screen extending past the edges of the game if I moved my cursor too far to the right or bottom. I tried to fix it in game and this messed with my overall screen settings and caused the crash.

There were issues with libfontconfig.so.1 and libpango. The game did add some font files.

It took a while to get the in-game fullscreen resolution the same as my desktop resolution so Cinnamon wouldn’t look odd on game exit. Once I had both the game and Mint behaving I restarted the system and things have bee fine in other games, online, on the desktop and in ufoai.

If I am not happy with things I can uninstall the game and revert using Timeshift – I set a restore point before installing.

After all this the game better entertain me. 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: When Linux Crashes… Don’t Panic.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.