News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Where to download beta of MacOS as ISO file?

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Where to download beta of MacOS as ISO file?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Where to download beta of MacOS as ISO file?

Will it work in VirtualBox?

Windows 10 has a beta that you can download as ISO. I am wondering if MacOS has it as well. I check google but found nothing that help. It mentioned that MacOS can download beta. But I only have Windows. I want to run it in virtualbox to see how it is and if it makes since to switch from Windows to MacOS. Thanks.

• #2302996 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Where to download beta of MacOS as ISO file?

Will it work in VirtualBox?

Windows 10 has a beta that you can download as ISO. I am wondering if MacOS has it as well. I check google but found nothing that help. It mentioned that MacOS can download beta. But I only have Windows. I want to run it in virtualbox to see how it is and if it makes since to switch from Windows to MacOS. Thanks.

MacOS doesn’t run on Windows PC nor be installed on Windows PCs.
        MacOS runs only on Mac PCs. However, You can install Windows (single or dual boot) on a Mac PC.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2303017 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You can run it in a VM according to this page.

cheers, Paul

• #2303020 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

cheers, Paul

That is piracy Hackintoshing which is illegal.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2303164 Reply
        anonymous

MacOS doesn’t run on Windows PC nor be installed on Windows PCs.
        MacOS runs only on Mac PCs. However, You can install Windows (single or dual boot) on a Mac PC.

I want to try the beta MacOS to see if I will like it before I spend huge money buy a Mac computer.

cheers, Paul

Is that the beta version of Mac? Is that page safe since it has google drive or mediafire? i was hoping to get a beta from apple site. If they do not have it, i might have to try that site. Thanks for the info.

• #2303231 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

i was hoping to get a beta from apple site.

Only a Mac can download a legal copy of MacOS.

So let say you got a copy of MacOS beta. What will you do with the OS as you can’t install it on a Windows PC unless you resort to piracy ?

• #2304618 Reply
          James Bond 007
          AskWoody Lounger

Only a Mac can download a legal copy of MacOS.

On GitHub there is a tool called gibMacOS, ever heard of it?

It is a set of scripts that the author claims is able to download MacOS directly from Apple using either a Mac or Windows machine and make a bootable USB stick out of it, of course, supposedly for use only on a Mac machine.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

• #2303262 Reply
        anonymous

So let say you got a copy of MacOS beta. What will you do with the OS as you can’t install it on a Windows PC unless you resort to piracy ?

I will put MacOS Beta in Virtualbox or VMPlayer as mention in the article to test if I will like it. How is that piracy since it is a beta which is for testing? So is my Windows 10 beta ISO running in Virtualbox on Windows 7 piracy?

• #2303267 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Did you activate it with a valid (legal) Win10 license key?
          Otherwise, yes, it is piracy.

• #2303268 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

ah but, you still have the 30(ish) days to test/try out W10 on a device without a product key. Thereafter, functionality and greyed out buttons appear etc..
            Edit: this does not apply to insiders

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
      • #2303295 Reply
        anonymous

According the Windows 10 insider program, it does not say it needs to be activate.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/about-windows-insider-program

I have not activate Beta Insider version since I do not like  Windows 10, too many problems with it and compatibility issues.

I am still using Windows 7. But I am thinking of switching to MacOs and want to test it before I switch it. Windows 10 is driving this switch since of the issues.

• #2303302 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Well, I followed your link. And reading through the documentation I find this (bolding mine):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/get-started

Preparation

First, make sure you’re ready to set up flighting:

• To install Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds1, you must be running a licensed version of Windows 10 on your device. You can install Windows 10 here if your device is currently running an older version or if you need to buy Windows. If you’re having issues installing Windows 10, you can also download a Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO to get started.
          • The process of setting up flighting restarts your device during program setup and updating. Make sure you’re ready for this, so you don’t lose open documents or unsaved work. You might also want to take a picture of these directions or bookmark this page on your browser to get back to it easily.
          • Make sure that we support your language.

So, if you haven’t activated the copy of Win10 on which you are Insider Builds with a legal  license key, you are running an illegal copy of Windows.

• #2303299 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

How is that piracy since it is a beta which is for testing?

It is piracy as MacOS is allowed to be installed ONLY on a Mac device.

• #2303305 Reply
        anonymous

PKCano:

This is the info I am referencing since I  was in the old ring:

For Windows Insiders who were already flighting before old ring, you were automatically moved to the new channel that corresponded to your old ring and not activation is required for beta testing of the software.

Alex6723

Will you buy a Mac for me to test it? I will ship it back to you after I test it, which should be a month or so.

• #2303313 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

If you were in an old ring, I believe your copy of Win10 had to be a legal copy to even be in the Insider’s program to begin with. When I joined in Oct 2014, a licensed copy of WIn10 was required and I have been in the “old rings” and now in the Dev Channel. You just don’t need to reactivate it to move to a current channel.

I can be wrong. Please provide a link to Microsoft’s website where is says you can be in the Insider Program using an unlicensed copy of Windows 10. The link I provided, downloaded from the MS website today, says you must have a licensed version.

• #2303357 Reply
            anonymous

When I join Inside program, MS provide an activation key by sending you an email. I never used it to activate it since I was testing it as a beta. I still have the key from MS.

• #2303351 Reply
        anonymous

If you are looking to switch to a Mac, Nathan Parker has put together an excellent guide on helping Windows users switch over to Mac: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000020-mac-guide-for-windows-users-wanting-to-switch/

If you want to demo an Apple machine, make a trip to your nearest Apple Store (pending availability due to the pandemic; make sure to observe all health precautions before going) and just walk in, and try out the machines on display. You can ask for advice as well, or just play around on your own accord.

I switched back in May with no regrets. YMMV of course, but I think you’ll appreciate what it has to offer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2303360 Reply
          anonymous

If you want to demo an Apple machine, make a trip to your nearest Apple Store (pending availability due to the pandemic; make sure to observe all health precautions before going) and just walk in, and try out the machines on display. You can ask for advice as well, or just play around on your own accord.

My nearest Apple store is several hours of driving. This is not an option even before the current situation.Plus I would need more than a few hours to test it to see if it will if my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• #2305051 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

What specifically are you needing to know if it’ll fit your needs? I can answer just about any Mac questions you have.

Also, if you have any friends with Macs, they could give you an in-person demo which would be easier than visiting an Apple Store (since I’m far from one myself, I know the feeling).

Additionally, Best Buy stores generally have a few demo Macs on hand. There might even be some rental stores that would allow you to rent a Mac for a bit to take one for a test drive.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Where to download beta of MacOS as ISO file?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.