News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Where to find advice on patches of MS "Office" for Macs?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Other platforms – for Windows wonks macOS for Windows wonks Where to find advice on patches of MS "Office" for Macs?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 4 months ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Is there a reputable and informative Web site that deals with the quality, problems, etc. of the patches for MS Office for macOS?

At present, I have assumed that both the software and its patches must be about the same as their Windows counterparts, both in purpose and quality, so I have kept watch on how Susan rates them in her Master Patch List, and go ahead and Patch Office in the Mac when, finally, those KB get graded as “OK to Patch”, or even later. But I think that the team responsible for Office for Macs and its corresponding patches might not be exactly the same as the Office for Windows’ team, so their performances might be also different.

My Mac version is Office 2016.

• #1011619 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

In terms of Office for Mac releases, to my knowledge, there is a different team that produces Office for Mac releases than Office for Windows releases (it used to be that way in the past, in fact Office for Mac was quite different than Office for Windows, but the two have gotten better feature parity).

Unless an Office for Mac update causes a major issue with Macs, none of the Mac news sites I regularly read offer advice on Office for Mac patches. I did find the Office Mac Microsoft Community which you could check after an Office for Mac update is released to see if anyone has reported any issues to Microsoft. On one of my Macs, I do have Office Mac updates set to automatically update, so if I encounter any issues, I can report them here as well. However, I don’t use Office for Mac regularly (I’ve been burned too much from Microsoft Word on both platforms to use it for mission-critical work), so I wouldn’t notice some possible issues with Office for Mac updates.

The majority of Office for Mac updates, I’ve either not had an issue with them, or the issues were minor enough not to hamper productivity. I did have one major issue with an Office for Mac update that caused Office for Mac to sign out and deactivate my copy of Office 365 every time I closed and re-opened an Office for Mac app, which was horrendous. Microsoft Support never did figure it out, and an update later addressed it, but after that I had already moved onto using other word processors for my main work.

My advice on Office for Mac updates would be: leave your update settings the way they are so you know about updates but choose when to install them, check the Office for Mac Community to see if there are any major issues with the update, when the Office for Mac Community doesn’t have any threads showing any major issues, proceed with the update, and it should be OK.

Nathan Parker

• #1012352 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nthan Parker,

Thank you so much!

Perhaps, when you have the time, you could also explain, or find a Web site where one can see this explained: How does one de-install a patch of Office for macOS?

And, if is not too much already, would you mind using some MVP magic and correct the typo in the title of this thread? I found that one may start a thread, but from then on is also unable to change the title, not even to fix an obvious spelling mistake.

• #1015135 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Glad to assist!

Off the top of my head, I don’t know of an easy way to successfully remove an Office for Mac update. macOS is pretty modular, so trashing the Office for Mac apps in the Applications folder, then downloading a previous release installer and running it, may allow you to “roll back” to a previous version and still retain your settings, but I haven’t tested it (I’d also recommend a Time Machine backup before doing so). Possibly restoring the previous versions of the apps from Time Machine could work as well, although again, I haven’t tested it, so use either at your own risk should you attempt them.

Office for Mac is now available on the Mac App Store as well, and updates there will be vetted by Apple first and rolled out a little slower. I haven’t been able to find out if there are any other advantages to using the Mac App Store version of Office for Mac, and if there’s an easy migration path to do so.

In terms of the title, an admin will need to assist with that. Unfortunately my MVP powers aren’t enough. You’ll need someone higher up in the AskWoody kingdom to make that magic happen.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Where to find advice on patches of MS "Office" for Macs?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.