News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Where's the New Edge Browser?

Posted on WSstarvinmarvin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Where's the New Edge Browser?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

WSstarvinmarvin
      AskWoody Lounger

I heard months ago that a new version of Microsoft Edge browser was being built based upon Chrome browser. In October my Windows 10 Home laptop was updated to version 1903. Yesterday it received another update. Now it’s 1903 build 18362.535.

When I opened Edge today it seemed the same as ever, a bit slow and laggy and it looks just as always. So, where’s the new improved Chrome-based version, I wonder?

• #2018131 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Looks like it may be available Jan 15, 2020 (after Win7 goes EOL)

See this article on ZDNet.

• #2018246 Reply

WSstarvinmarvin

Excellent, thanks. So, basically, it’s still a coming-soon-to-a-browser-near-you thing. Got it!

And, it’s good to see Mary Jo Foley is still keeping us updated. She’s a long time Windows Expert who’s been answering questions and untangling Microsoft mysteries forever, or at least since my Windows 2000 days and maybe before.

• #2018176 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Plus

Does anyone know what happens to Internet Explorer 11 after the new Edge comes out? IE 11 is an integral part of Windows 8.1, and I’m wondering if it (IE 11) will need to be replaced with the new Edge. Or will there be a new version of Internet Explorer to replace the current version in 8.1?

• #2018249 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Dr Bonzo,

I think that, in this Web page of MS on IE11 and Edge, one may find the answer to your question:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/deploy/microsoft-edge-faq

Will Internet Explorer 11 continue to receive updates?
        We’re committed to keeping Internet Explorer a supported, reliable, and safe browser. Internet Explorer is still a component of Windows and follows the support lifecycle of the OS on which it’s installed. For details, see Lifecycle FAQ – Internet Explorer. While we continue to support and update Internet Explorer, the latest features and platform updates will only be available in Microsoft Edge.

So, if one were to stick with Win 7, the follow on questions could be: what about us, Win 7 holdouts? Will we be still getting those “latest features and platform updates” for Edge after January? And should we really care if we get them or not?

(For my part, I already have (and use) three browsers, besides E 11: FF, WF and Chrome, and I’m fine with just those three, so my hankering also after Edge? Not so much.)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2018254 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

IE11 won’t disappear when Chromium Edge is released next month as it has an IE Mode for specific enterprise legacy sites: Use Microsoft Edge with IE mode

Microsoft Edge, Win 10 Pro 1909: Group ASAP (pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2018331 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

… and those who REALLY want the Chromium-based Edge already, can try the beta from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download … also has it for Mac, W7, and some Windows Server versions…

(For my part, I already have (and use) three browsers, besides E 11: FF, WF and Chrome, and I’m fine with just those three, so my hankering also after Edge? Not so much.)

I use multiple independent browsers to have multiple concurrent independent sessions that don’t share data. Yes, even multiple concurrent privacy/incognito/whatever mode every now and then…

• #2019103 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

what about us, Win 7 holdouts? Will we be still getting those “latest features and platform updates” for Edge after January? And should we really care if we get them or not?

Windows 7 will get the new ChrEdge the day after EOL, and NO, you should care.

• #2019343 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

In the MS Web page from which I have already quoted a fuller paragraph and provided the link in an earlier comment here in this thread #2018249 :

While we continue to support and update Internet Explorer, the latest features and platform updates will only be available in Microsoft Edge.

This, keeping in mind the first part of the paragraph (in my previous posting), can be read in two contradictory ways: (a) as meaning that, just as it is written, support (patches) for IE11 will continue to be available to Windows 7 users after EOL — or (b) It will not.

As to the “latest features and platform updates” part, assuming that “platform” = “operating system”, after EOL then, E11 patches, whether available or not to Win 7 holdouts, may become incompatible with Win 7, as they are not put together with it in mind any longer.

As I have mentioned already, I really don’t care about IE11 becoming less useful, or even unusable as a browser because of a lack of patches, as I have three other browsers and I’m pretty happy with this arrangement. And it is a corollary of not needing IE11 as a browser that I can’t care less about those “latest features &etc.” that are for IE11/Edge running on Win 10 (and 8.1?)

My concern is that, if no longer supported, then, as DrBonzo has already noted, the parts of IE11 that are not for browsing, or not only for browsing, but are, in fact, used by the OS for whatever necessary or important things it has to do with them besides browsing, those parts may also become unsupported.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2019381 Reply

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

the parts of IE11 that are not for browsing, or not only for browsing, but are, in fact, used by the OS for whatever necessary or important things it has to do with them besides browsing, those parts may also become unsupported.

Of course they won’t be supported as Windows 7 OS won’t change after EOL so there won’t be any need to support IE11.

• #2019647 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Alex5723: The user holding out with Win 7 might need to have those non-browser or non-browser-only bits and pieces of IE11 patched when there is a way they can be used to carry out an attack and the danger of such an attack is known to be real and present.

• #2019725 Reply

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

“might need” makes no difference if MS is no longer providing patches.

cheers, Paul

• #2019729 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Care to explain why not? Need here has, I would think, nothing to do with availability.

• #2019765 Reply

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

Your original statement referred to “after EOL”. At that point there are no new patches available regardless of need.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Where's the New Edge Browser?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.