News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Which Version of Office to Buy?

Posted on BehaviorQueen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Questions: Microsoft Office Which Version of Office to Buy?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

BehaviorQueen
      AskWoody Plus

Greetings,

I am currently running MS Office 2010, which is a bit “long in the tooth.”  I would like to upgrade to a more current version.  I have a desktop computer, a Surface Pro Tablet, my husband has a computer as well.  Should I purchase the subscription to Office 365?  I think there are two version of that, one which has the word “Pro” attached to it.  In terms of usage, I use MS Outlook as my desktop email client, I use MS Publisher, One Note and Word quite a bit.  I occasionally use Excel and Access.

Can you help me figure out what I should purchase?  Is it going to be a huge problem of transition to migrate to a new version?  How should I prepare?

Thank you so much!

• #337328 Trash | Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, there’s a few points… mostly depends on what purpose you’re using it for.

You use Access and Publisher, which means that the low-end permanent license packages aren’t suitable as they aren’t included in those.

Office 365 Home and Office 365 Business do nowadays include both, so in that case the difference is mostly in the license terms. The Home version comes with usage rights for family members and several devices, but the license forbids its use for commercial and non-profit purposes… the Business version is strictly by person but allows everything on multiple devices.

Then Office 365 ProPlus comes with additional manageability features for organizations on top of the Business version and allows virtualization, I believe. Until 2016 you only got Access in the ProPlus version, too. (Also the ProPlus can be bought for more than 300 users per organization…)

As for migration, what trips most people up is that a lot of the settings aren’t transferred automatically, like mail signatures and local address books… and the one most common problem would seem to be Outlook’s address autocomplete cache that is a bother to move even between two profile instances of the same version.

• #337362 Trash | Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Welcome to AskWoody, your Highness 🙂

I have a desktop computer, a Surface Pro Tablet, my husband has a computer as well.  Should I purchase the subscription to Office 365?

I recommend subscribing to 365 Home for your needs. For $100/year you get all the apps you use for up to 6 users on up to 18 devices [PC, tablet, phone], 1TB storage on OneDrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls monthly per person. Note that the full versions of the major apps only work on PC, other devices can only run the reduced-functionality mobile online apps.

Details

From my notes re differences v Office 2010:

What Office 2013 has v 2010
      – More sharing plus device and cloud integration.
      – Improved interface.
      – Some touchscreen functionality.
      – Collapsible ribbon.
      – Customizing ribbon easier, relatively simple now.
      – Word – PDF editing.
      – Word – better DTP features.

What Office 2016 has v 2013
      – Nothing major, nice changes. Built from the ground-up with mobile and cloud users in mind, good for teams.
      – Core products get a “Tell me” function which is useful.
      – Excel got rid of the dumb all caps ribbon text.
      – Improved colors in interface.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

• #337399 Trash | Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

o 365 Home

… are the licensing terms different in some market areas or something? Because the way I read that, you’re not authorized to use the Home version for much anything you’d want to, except education…

• #337447 Trash | Reply

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

If you are running a business Microsoft wants you to acquire a business SKU. However, Office 365 Home has no limitations on it in regards to what you m=do with it. The online part of Office 365 is less capable in the Home SKU as compared to a business SKU.

Also, search around for a price on Office 365 Home. Do NOT pay full price. Search Amazon or eBay for discounted prices. If you choose eBay be sure to buy from a reputable seller.

--Joe

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Which Version of Office to Buy?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.