News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • White lines in display

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Zaphyrus 2 months ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

As the title say I notice my 3 year old laptop (Dell inspiron 5558)white lines appeared on the screen

the issue is hardware level and  its that probably some lose wire and fortunately I have the money to repair it,

So I just have a question:

First, I must clarify the lines are quite fade, they are barely notable (the only way to notice them is by paying attention or when a blue screen appears (blue display not bsod))

well my only question is:  can I leave it like that for a while?(It doesn’t really bother me and fortunately everything else runs fine) or should I fix it since the screen can get worse?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #336409 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Dell has a range of troubleshooters for display issues, that might help you narrow down the problem.

Is the machine still under warranty?

Is it a touchscreen, and what OS is it running? I see they have two different graphics drivers, one released in December, the other in January, depending on your machine’s spec’s – it may be worth trying an update, if you don’t have the latest drivers installed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #336414 Reply

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

Q;Is the machine still under warranty?

No

Q:is it is a touchscreen and what Os do you use?
      No it isnt and Windows 10

Sadly a graphic update is not the case, since the white lines appear in the boot bios screen therefore its a hardware issue

What i wanna know is if i can keep my screen like that or is it something urgent i need to fix   regardless of the answer i will dump it in a repair shop

• #336492 Reply

anonymous

You can still use a screen like that, I have seen another person do that with a loose connection. Gently with your fingers grip around the display bezel to see if the line disappears.

• #336449 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

If it is indeed a hardware issue (and it most commonly is, with the problem you mention, and the followup message about how it appears before the OS is loaded confirms this pretty strongly), replacing the LCD will probably be the solution.  It could be something else like an internal video flex cable or the like, but most often it’s the LCD itself.

If it is not convenient to replace it now, you can wait until it is… it might get worse, but it won’t mean fixing it will be any more complicated or costly.  Replacing a LCD that is slightly damaged costs the same as replacing one that is totally dead.  If it dies at some point, you will have to use an external display to use the laptop, or else wait until the repair is done before using it again (if you take it to a shop, be aware they can see what’s on there, but that’s always the case with a PC brought in for repair).

If that’s ok by you, wait as long as you like.  It could last for years in its current form, or it could fail completely tomorrow.  Either way, it’s going to cost the labor of a LCD replacement and the cost of the LCD panel, most likely, and perhaps a diagnostic charge.  It should not cost any more to diagnose the issue with a totally dead panel than a partially dead one, especially if you tell them it had lines before it went.  I suppose someone could try that, people being people and all, but I wouldn’t consider that a scrupulous thing to do.

I’ve replaced a number of LCD panels in laptops, and it’s really not a huge or difficult job, as long as the panel or bezel is not glued on securely, and according to the Dell service manual for your model, it’s of the older style snap off bezel.  I’ve not yet replaced one that had a glued-on bezel.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.15.5 & Kubuntu 18.04).

• #336764 Reply

mn–
        Subscriber

I did once run into one of these that did turn out to be a fault in the graphics adapter… but that one was an underlying tesselated pattern that was visible on “smooth” color elements.

• #336500 Reply

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

Ok, thanks all of you three (Yes, including the anon that replied to me)

I want to report an update,  I have noticed that with each  boot and each time the screen turns on and turns off  the screen the intensities of the lines are fading slowly,  which makes mae believe it may have to do with the display refreshing  rate

For now I will monitor it

• #336525 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

Have you tried plugging in an external monitor, to see if the issue shows on another screen too? That would confirm it’s a hardware issue 🙂

• #336527 Reply

Zaphyrus
        Subscriber

I have done it already, also each time I take a screenshot the lines don’t appear.

I will keep monitoring hoping the issue don’t get worse.

• #336536 Reply

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

Btw here is a photo of how it looks like, as you can see its barely visible, (its the line that cross the wushowhide app) and that’s why I am considering just monitoring the issue.

k

Attachments:
    • #336729 Reply

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

Just to give closure to this topic, in the end, I decided to wait, if the problems gets worse, I will take it to a repair shop. thanks everyone for your help.

• #342056 Reply

Zaphyrus
      Subscriber

Update: Greetings, after monitoring for 3 days, the problem initially got worse, that when I realized the true problem.   So after the two lines that appeared two weird symbols appeared along the lines,  after comparing with my desktop and browser, I realized that the symbols matched  the refresh and home icons of my browser. that’s when I realized that I had a case of Image persistence.

back when anniversary update was the rage, I had a problem that my computer refused to load the desktop after going to sleep or if the screen got turned off (solved by disabling fast start up)  So I developed a fear for my computer  turning off screen

therefore and for longer times I didn’t turn off the screen  which eventually caused an image persistence issue

Now, 12 days laters, and after properly making my screen rest, the problem is dissapearing slowly.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #344053 Reply

anonymous

Image persistence (would not have guessed it as the cause), of course that is a only good outcome if it repairs itself. 🙂 Thank you for the education.

I learned the dumb way that you can burn-in any liquid crystal display television. If that happens to anybody else, my first choice of available free repair was to find a channel which frequently changed colors and intensity for a few hours. The solution worked and hopefully that can help other folks.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #344648 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

@zaphyrus,

I had a similar issue years ago with a new desktop monitor. The computer was configured to never run a screen saver, to blank the screen after 20 minutes of inactivity, and to power off the monitor after 30 minutes of inactivity. The upshot is that after only two months of using this new monitor, my Windows taskbar had caused noticeable burn-in along the bottom of the monitor screen. Screen burn-in is caused by charge traps which build up over time in the LCD lattice.

I got rid of the burn-in by configuring Windows to never blank or power off the monitor, and to run the Mystify screen saver as soon as the computer had been idle for 5 minutes. I recall that it took four or five days for the Mystify screen saver to remove the built up charge traps such that the burned-in ghostly image of the taskbar were no longer visible to the eye. Since then, I configured all of my computers to run Mystify after five minutes of inactivity, to blank the screen after 15 minutes of inactivity, and to turn off the screen after 20 minutes of inactivity. Needless to say, my laptops use different settings when on battery power.

Unless anyone really wants to know, I won’t go into the technical details of why specifically using the Mystify screen saver works for removing built-up charge traps.

Best regards,

–GTP

EDITED (Lounge Rules)

• #344659 Reply

Zaphyrus
          Subscriber

Hi Gonetoplaid

I am happy to hear you also solved you problem, I guess we all learned  LCD aren’t immune to burn ins

For now I am happy I don’t have to buy a new screen.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: White lines in display

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.