News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Why aren’t .NET Framework Update Previews optional?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Why aren’t .NET Framework Update Previews optional?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        MikeSTech
        AskWoody Plus

Does anyone know if there is an explanation from Microsoft as to why .NET Framework Update Previews are apparently not optional, unlike Windows 10 Update Previews?

My understanding is that MS Previews generally are for registered Windows ‘insiders’, which I am not.

For example, recently on 1st June 2021 I successfully updated my Windows 10 Home 20H2 as usual by un-pausing Windows Updates and received as predicted the 2021-05 CU (KB003173), and am currently being offered the option of 2021-05 CU Preview (KB5003214), which I’m declining.

However, at the same time I also received the 2021-05 CU Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.8 (KB5003254) 25/05, whereas I would have expected to receive the (earlier!?) non-Preview version of it from 10/05.

There is some inconsistency here, it seems, surely Previews should come out before the non-Previews of the same month/version.

Susan Bradley
        Manager

The preview is for next month’s release, not the prior months.  I’ll have to see if I can find my notes, @abboi86  I believe indicated that it had to due with a different installer mechanism  as to why Windows previews get controlled with WUforB settings and .net do not.  I’ll find it and repost.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

MikeSTech
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Susan,

I look forward to seeing what you dig up.

I think the two things that are odd are:-

(1) that the 2021-05 CU Preview for .NET comes out after the 2021-05 CU (non-Preview) for .NET – surely it should be called the 2021-06 CU Preview for .NET ?

(2) that .NET Preview updates are automatically installed at all for users who are either not registered Windows ‘insiders’ or who have chosen not to optionally install them if offered – I would expect only the most recent non-Preview .NET updates to be installed automatically for such users, such as myself.

These two behaviours for .NET Preview updates are inconsistent with the way Windows Preview updates are installed vs. optionally offered, and doesn’t achieve the desired outcome for monthly updating when un-pausing at the appropriate point in the month.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Why aren’t .NET Framework Update Previews optional?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.