News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Wi-fi connection

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Wi-fi connection

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago.
    Author
    Topic

I have a problem that I cannot solve.  My laptop loses its wi-fi connection at random.  Sometimes it happens frequently, but at other times it may stayed connected for 24 hours.  I am able to re-connect easily.  The problem happens both at home and when away – so it is the laptop, not the home network.

I have searched the Internet for solutions, but having tried every one that I could find the problem still persists.

Windows 10 Pro, Chrome, F-Secure antivirus.

Home network is 74Mbps fibre and is totally stable – BT router, but the problem occured before I moved to fibre.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Best wishes

Peter

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What network adapter are you using?  See if there are driver updates.  Try completely uninstalling adapter in Device Manager if updating is unsuccessful.  Is the adapter itself connected securely, including antenna leads?  Try using only 2Ghz and see if things are better.

If you haven’t tried this, reset your network in Settings>Network & Internet>Network Reset (page bottom.)

These apply to your router, just in case:

What wi-fi router are you using? Wi-fi routers have many settings, be sure both bands match your laptop adapter settings.  Not sure what speeds you expect from fiber but my 5 Ghz connection is rock solid if I set the speed at 400Mbps, 866 Mbps becomes unstable, disconnects here and there.  My connection is about 200Mbps cable.

Be sure your router’s firmware is up to date.  Try enabling/disabling various settings, beamforming, QoS, IP 6, etc.  Note what you change beforehand.

Drivers, firmware, trying for too high a speed have caused most problems I’ve run into.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Running a wireless report in Windows 10 may shed some light on the disconnects as well.

Link to Microsoft’s instructions on running and reading the wireless report.
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/analyze-the-wireless-network-report-76da0daa-1db2-6049-d154-7bb679eb03ed

the anonymous OP can run Speccy and click on the Network section to determine what network adapter the laptop is being used for wireless connections

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Wi-fi connection

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.