News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • WiFi adapter is hung up after hibernating

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 WiFi adapter is hung up after hibernating

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

This on a dell laptop with win10/home/1903. I always shut it down with a “shutdown /h” command — this left over from when it was running win7 . win7 starts slowly enough [and I generally keep my laptop powered down so it would always need to be restarted when I wanted to use it]…and… I discovered that none of the keyboard ways to hibernate/sleep worked.. so… I made a little one-line batch file with the above command and double-click it instead of pushing the power button when I’m done with the laptop.

This has worked great, but since I upgraded to win10 whenever I bring the laptop back to life the wifi adapter is wedged. I have to go to settings/internet/troubleshoot and it resets the adapter and all is well.

Any idea why hibernate ought to give the wifi adapter problems?

/Bernie\

• #2016581 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well, what hibernate does is, it saves current working state to disk, and then powers down. On wakeup it checks for saved state and reloads that to memory. So, “normal” driver load sequence gets skipped.

It’s a common bug in drivers to not detect and process (some) power management events correctly, hibernate not working right is perhaps the most typical symptom of this.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2016772 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

Well, what hibernate does is, it saves current working state to disk, and then powers down. On wakeup it checks for saved state and reloads that to memory. So, “normal” driver load sequence gets skipped.

It’s a common bug in drivers to not detect and process (some) power management events correctly, hibernate not working right is perhaps the most typical symptom of this.

thanks for the explanation. I guess win7 may have handled it differently because I didn’t have the problem before I moved to win10. Mystery solved!!!

/Bernie\

• #2016793 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

I guess win7 may have handled it differently because I didn’t have the problem before I moved to win10.

Also this is the kind of thing that driver and firmware versions might well affect. That is, system firmware (which deals with power management), motherboard/chipset and other power management drivers, wifi driver…

• #2016818 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I have my W10 laptop set to hibernate when I shut the lid. Using that with an SSD and it takes about 5 seconds to return the laptop to the last thing I was doing.

Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what closing the lid does.

cheers, Paul

• #2016837 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

While there, I also recommend turning off “fast startup”. That’s pretty much just hibernate by another name to confuse users and has very little advantage over regular startup if you have a SSD.

Really, the number of times I’ve had to tell people that no, they really do need to restart their PC… “…but I turned it off when I left the office yesterday evening and only turned it on this morning!”

Not to mention all the possible cases where the disk has to be used from something other than the hibernated instance of Windows, by then it’ll be too late to change that setting.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: WiFi adapter is hung up after hibernating

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.