News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Wifi hangs on start – dreaded blue circle

Posted on WoollyMammoth Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Wifi hangs on start – dreaded blue circle

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  WoollyMammoth 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows 7 / Dell Vostro laptop / Intel Proset Wifi

Following a recent MS Update I had a problem with the wifi hanging on start, with a revolving blue circle over the Wifi Systray icon.  I got so fed up I rolled back to a previous backup and the problem went away – for a long time – with just the very occasional wifi hang, of no consequence, I thought….   Problem has subsequently returned in full battle dress, my not having done any Windoze Updates.  Turn the machine on, everything(-ish) starts, and *randomly* the wifi may or may not start.

If Wifi does not start I cannot then start the Services inspector to see what tasks are starting/started etc, since it simply won’t start up itself.  I can still use other bits of the machine – Word, Excel, Process Explorer; it can be a bit slow.  If I then “Restart” (rather than shutdown >> start up) the machine, it comes back up ok and the Wifi starts straight away and all is fine from then, until the next time I turn the machine off.  It’s either a turn off/turn on sequence or an alternating booting flag or some such, and possibly “Restart” temporarily cures the problem.

I now don’t think it’s any windows updates causing this, since I haven’t done any.  It seems to me it must be something else that has updated since my rollback.  I have updated Firefox, but that seems an unlikely culprit as it is an application not a system program, and anyway I don’t have it on autostart.  The other thing I am suspcious of is the Avast antivirus where I do think I have updated the engine (still looking for logs to confirm when). I have heard that there have been recent clashes between AVs and MS Updates, though not any due to AVs themselves.

I have taken to turning the AV off before shutting down, and so far the wifi has not hung on boot, but I have not accumulated sufficient data sets yet to say it was or was not the cause, due to the randomness of the problem.

So I thought I would post here anyway, with the following questions:

• anyone seen this?
      • any way of debugging this – are there wifi system logs anywhere?
      • any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1841743 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

When the wifi is running check for bad packets. This may indicate a hardware problem.
      How to.

cheers, Paul

• #1842790 Reply

WoollyMammoth
        AskWoody Lounger

Paul, thanks, yes I am getting a higher than 0.1 packet loss. Whether this is the machine or the very dodgy rural ADSL we’re on I will have to look further.

WM
        --
        Win7Pro SP1
        new Dec 2011
        rebuilt Jun 2016
        & still going nicely

• #1842572 Reply

Cesar
      AskWoody Lounger
      • #1842792 Reply

WoollyMammoth
        AskWoody Lounger

Cesar, thanks, will check.

Re this and the other, I don’t really see why either of these woudl lead to a change in behaviour.  So far the Avast shutdown before machien shutdown seems to be working.  Having just said that of course….  [/sods law]

WM
        --
        Win7Pro SP1
        new Dec 2011
        rebuilt Jun 2016
        & still going nicely

• #1842794 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Hmmm, thinks, gonnae hef ta change last line of ma sig!

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1851166 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Turning Avast off before shutdown seemed to work for a while.  Then had a recent Avast engine update and have tried not turning it off, and so far looks to be starting the wifi OK on boot-up.  He said, tempting fate…

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1859345 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks. Having had no startup hangs after stopping Avast before shutdown, I then had done the most recent Win 7 Avast update and reverted to not stopping Avast before shutdown.  All went well for about a week, then yesterday it hung again (it’s that random).  I will recheck the latest Avast update in a W7 context. Incidentally, down that link, there are problems installing the latest Avast + 1903.

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1871446 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Update.  Updated Avast engine. No change.  Still re-starts fine if you shut down Avast before shuttign down the machine.  If you don’t shut down Avast first, there’s about a 40% chance of a hang on re-start.  I think it’s time to take it up with Avast…

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1871643 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

On my Win7 computers, it takes longer to establish any network or wifi connections on cold boots, in comparison to warm reboots.

When your issue occurs again, try simply logging off and then logging back on. This also is the quick fix for whenever Windows Explorer crashes, rather than rebooting the computer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1872780 Reply

anonymous

Have you tried checking the Avast forum for similar problems? If this is happening with other computers maybe a solution exists there, support was good there and may still be good for users.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1873234 Reply

WoollyMammoth
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes I have, thanks, but have not really got any clear answer as to why. The Woody site reports of multiple AVs having trouble with network connectivity is the closest I’ve got, hence my experiment (successful) with trying stopping Avast.  I may try a full uninstall and thorough purge of Avast followed by a reinstall.

WM
          --
          Win7Pro SP1
          new Dec 2011
          rebuilt Jun 2016
          & still going nicely

• #1872389 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Good idea, I’ll try that next time I forget to stop Avast first and it hangs

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

• #1872732 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

A note about a seemingly unrelated issue…

I have been testing anti-ransomware. First, I tested ZoneAlarm’s Anti-Ransomware. It works, yet it does create honeypot folders which can grow in size over time. Next, I tested Cybersight’s Ransomstopper. It also works, yet one of its low level drivers occasionally crashes with a BSOD on boot.

The upshot is that Microsoft has been messing with the Win7 kernel since around August 2017.

• #1878434 Reply

WoollyMammoth
      AskWoody Lounger

Final word.  It settled down to starting OK, this was some time after the last Avast update.  Had also stopped doing MS updates.  Then I went and did a cleanmgr.exe (Disk Cleanup) and cleaned up everything including system files.  To my surprise (which I haven’t seen before) after this it went into “Configuring Windows xx% Do not turn off” on shutdown, then of course ditto on start-up, which now took ages – probably an hour at the 100% stage!, followed by “Clean-up in progress do not turn off”, which took about 3 hours and I thought had hung.  The total disc usage reduction was 3.8 GB (!) stated by Cleanup.  This does seem to have done something, the machine starts and shuts down quicker and the wifi also starts quicker.  Weird.

WM
      --
      Win7Pro SP1
      new Dec 2011
      rebuilt Jun 2016
      & still going nicely

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Wifi hangs on start – dreaded blue circle

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.