News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• WiFi Security Alerts after moving from 1909 to 2004

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 WiFi Security Alerts after moving from 1909 to 2004

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Any help would be welcome. On Verizon DSL using their current gateway with security set for  WPA/WPA2-PSK. No higher setting available within the Actiontec router. Win10 Pro x64 if that matters. Every time I reconnect, I get the alert. Windows knows I have WPA2-PSK under properties. Looking at available networks, it reports connected secured but now with an exclamation mark. Help! Thanks…

anonymous

OK. Figured this out for myself. Read this article in the link and accessed my router and was able to enable WPA2 only and AES. Had to reboot whereupon I had to reenter my pass code because changes were made. I’m here…, so it worked! https://www.howtogeek.com/423708/why-windows-10-says-your-wi-fi-network-isnt-secure/

FWIW, looking at available networks from the taskbar, 2004 shows a padlock symbol on each secured connection which I don’t recall seeing in 1909.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

WPA2 is the only mode to use. All the previous ones are either already broken or easy to crack.

Does 2004 list the connection as “secured” as well as the padlock? Does it show the mode along with the padlock?

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Windows was already showing WPA2 Personal in properties. In the router it showed WPA/WPA2-PSK. Changed to WPA2 ONLY and changed to AES per the article on the link above.

From the Taskbar icon my connection now shows the padlock. Believe that was new with 2004 with all connections shown as available.  My connection shows as connected & secured. It did before, even with the security alert warnings which arrived with 2004.

Nothing else indicated from the Taskbar other than an indication of signal strength. There is a link to properties but nothing else. Define “mode”, please.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

“Mode” being the security type – WPA2 etc.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Ah, no. Clicking on Properties reveals WPA2 Personal…, but it did before making the alterations mentioned above which appears to satisfy 2004 re: security alerts.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: WiFi Security Alerts after moving from 1909 to 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.