News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Will Acronis Do This?

Posted on WSplanckster Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by

WSplanckster 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

WSplanckster
      Subscriber

I just replaced my D(DATA): drive with a new Crucial SSD. I’ve reloaded my data and everything is working well.

The new drive came with a free copy of Acronis True Image HD 2015. I’m thinking of downloading this software because I was recently burned when a Windows 10 image backup wouldn’t work.

I would like to install Acronis and make an Acronis bootable USB recovery drive and then uninstall the Acronis software.

Then I could use the recovery USB to image my three Windows computers to my external USB drive I use only for backups.

Will this work? Does the Acronis bootable USB drive only function with the computer on which it was made?

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Jerry

• #1593003 Trash | Reply

WSRolandJS
      AskWoody Plus

“…Then I could use the recovery USB to image my three Windows computers to my external USB drive I use only for backups…”

Acronis has a way of marrying the license and the program to one computer. Once the license is set for computer A, if computer B shows up with it, either A or B or both will have the installed copy uninstalled. Now, the product should work very well the way you desire to use it.

I just now realized I misunderstood! My bad, my comment above does not appear to apply here.

• #1593007 Trash | Reply

WSplanckster
      Subscriber

Thank you very much for your response. I guess I’ll give it a shot.

Jerry

• #1593074 Trash | Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Why not install 3 copies of Aomei Backupper free and make backups from within Windows?

cheers, Paul

• #1593086 Trash | Reply

WSplanckster
        Subscriber

I don’t like making backups on my SSD drive that I would have to copy to my external storage drive.

I just feel better booting from a recovery disk and making an image directly to my external storage drive.

Like I said in my original post, I got burned once when an image made with Windows wouldn’t reload.

Still, I appreciate your input.

Jerry

• #1593087 Trash | Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You don’t need to boot to a backup program to backup to an external device. Just plug in your external disk and tell the backup program to backup to it. You can continue working on your computer while the backup runs.

cheers, Paul

• #1593089 Trash | Reply

WSruirib
      Subscriber

In any case, if you boot from an Acronis created bootable drive, yes, you will be able to backup teh 3 computers.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Will Acronis Do This?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.