News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Will they cut off MSE next year?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Will they cut off MSE next year?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cybertooth 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

When they cut off Win 7 next year, will MSE still be updated or am I going to have to convince my boss to buy an antivirus for the one Windows box in the building?

• #319538 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Are MS obliged to continue supporting MSE after Jan 2020?
      Considering it’s for Windows 7 and MSE is free..I’d say start looking for a
      a third party AV for beyond W7 EOL in 3/4 of this year.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #319574 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

FWIW, Vista and XP are still getting updates for Windows Defender.

This doesn’t preclude MS from getting aggressive against Windows 7 systems and cutting them off next year, but it may be a hopeful sign.

• #319575 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

You mean definition updates and not program updates, right?

--Joe

• #319597 Reply

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Lounger

That’s correct.

Don’t know about MSE program updates since I don’t use MSE.

• #319578 Reply

jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

Of course, Windows Defender doesn’t do much on pre-Win8 systems either.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #319606 Reply

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Lounger

Windows Defender on Vista has a feature where it asks your explicit permission for programs trying to make changes to the registry. This feature seems to have been removed from the Windows 7 version of WD; maybe they decided it wasn’t useful but I haven’t seen an explanation for the removal. On the face of it, it would seem to be useful in preventing malicious drivers from doing their thing.

(Note to mods: I don’t see where to add attach an attachment; what happened to it?)

• #319716 Reply

Cybertooth
            AskWoody Lounger

The attachment function is back. Here’s the Vista WD screenshot I’d wanted to attach to my previous post:

Windows-Defender-Vista

Attachments:
    • #319647 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Here are some fairly recent links about Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7, it looks like there is nothing “absolutely official from Microsoft” that my searchs have found yet. I am not sure if the ‘answers.microsoft / forum’ is official or just some poster advice. Gregg Keizer at Computerworld posts “Microsoft will probably rehash a move it made with Windows XP after Windows 7’s public support expires: Continue to provide antivirus (AV) signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials software.” I am including one link from digital trends about the ‘so called’ best free antivirus programs just to give people an idea, search that and get a thousand different opinions. If anyone finds any definite answer please post, may help many.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials-for-windows-7-after/6da51319-35ed-476e-b602-f9b839443aaf

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3322618/microsoft-windows/the-definitive-windows-7-retirement-timeline-countdown.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials#Discontinuation

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-antivirus-software/

As a side note, I do not see below this posting box, the “Attachement – Select File” button.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #319649 Reply

anonymous

Dear (other) anonymous, you should expect that mse will stop working at some point after win7 goes eol.   This may be after a brief grace period, during which mse will produce angry red toaster popup warnings.  Beyond that, not only will mse program updates stop, but virus signature downloads will as well, and mse will simply refuse to do anything other than tell  you that your os is unsupported.  My prognostication is based on past experience with winxp and vista.  Many anti-virus vendors will drop win7 support eventually, although I see that avast and  (I think) bitdefender are still supporting vista.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Will they cut off MSE next year?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.