News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Will Win10 1903 and 1909 co-exist?

Home Forums AskWoody blog Will Win10 1903 and 1909 co-exist?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bbearren 1 week ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’m still scratching my head over this one. Please tell me if you’ve heard anything, official or otherwise. Sometime in the next few weeks, Microsoft’
      [See the full post at: Will Win10 1903 and 1909 co-exist?]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1949500 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

Nothing official, but something that will definitely work.  In the days of Windows XP, I devised Unleash Windows as a way of improving performance by putting parts of Windows on separate drives, and it worked quite well.

After the introduction of Windows 7, I began getting email from my site visitors asking me when I was going to splice and dice Windows 7, and put that instruction set on my site.  That resulted in Set 7 Free, another comprehensive tutorial.  That same instruction set will work on Windows 10, but I’ve since devised an equally comprehensive but much less complex method.

I haven’t yet uploaded the new method on my site, I’m still in the process of writing it up.  However, I’m writing this post from the B side of my dual boot, with is completely trisected, and still works just fine.  This type of installation blocks upgrades, but not updates.

Windows Update will back out of an upgrade with the warning that the installation is not supported by Microsoft.  Updates, on the other hand, haven’t failed so far.  In fact, at the moment in Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update I’m seeing ”

2019-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4515384)

Updates are ready to download (with the Download button prominently displayed)

I must say that the procedure I use is not for the casual user; it is still quite involved, requires some utilities and a good bit of registry editing, but it works.  Once completed, Windows just works.

Once your ready for the new upgrade, use the MCT USB and run an in-place update.  It will offer only a clean install, but, it will only mess with the C: drive.  Once that clean install is complete, all that is necessary are the registry edits and a bit of cleanup of the no-longer-necessary folders on the C: drive.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1949577 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

do realize that support for 1903 goes until December 2020, woody (um 12/8/2020 to be exact)
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%2010%20version%201903%20(Home%20Pro%20Pro%20for%20Workstations)

that applies to all editions including enterprise & education editions of 1903 as well:
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%2010%20version%201903%20(Enterprise%20Education)

by then, 1909 or higher will be required

• #1949606 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I think the implication is that there is only one big 1903/1909 “wad”. Everybody has the same “wad.” If one part of the wad is turned on (active) it calls itself 1903. If another part of the “wad” is turned on, it is 1909.

The idea is that all versions coexist in the same bundle. The CUs are for everything, the same for everybody. It’s just what’s turned on is what you’ve got. They did that with the Preview Ring (or was it the Slow Ring?)

This would work well in the cloud, where Microsoft is going. You rent an OS, Windows 365. What you get is how many “modules” are turned on, and the price goes up as the number of turned-on modules goes up. So all current versions basically coexist.

• #1949585 Reply

Susan Bradley
      AskWoody MVP

1903 will respect the defer feature update and not install 1909.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1949680 Reply

cogx
      AskWoody Lounger

Just from the perspective of someone who has to support Windows for a living, and thus also use it every day, in comparison to the … erraticness (not a word, should be?) of 1903, so glad we’ve stuck with 1809 and I have no current thoughts about moving beyond it any time soon.  I did have issues with 1809 early on, but the key I’ve found is to be sure your video drivers are current, as although Windows 7 and 8.1 don’t seem to care what video driver version you are using (not talking about gamers), Windows 10 has oddly taken a leap back into the Vista years where if you blink wrong your video driver can blue screen your PC in a heartbeat.

• #1949695 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

The separate “Download and install” section in Windows Update will act as intended and respect the release schedule and any deferral setting before offering 1909

i think the 18362.100xx slow ring is just ment for testing, the official 1909 release will go with RP ring route

same cumulative update for 1903 and 1909
      and an extra Enablement Package update will enable 1909 features and bump the “visible” version to 18363

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1950067 Reply

anonymous

I don’t know if anyone can help me, but I’ve been trying to hide 1903 update with windows show/hide and I can’t. It keeps coming up. It was listed twice for some reason, it only hid one. Has anyone experienced this and it there a way to stop it? I have tried updating to 1803 in the past and it bricked it. I do not want to upgrade yet. Currently Windows 10 Home 1709 – yeah I know it’s old but it works. Thanks for any help.

• #1952195 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I haven’t yet uploaded the new method on my site, I’m still in the process of writing it up. However, I’m writing this post from the B side of my dual boot, with is completely trisected, and still works just fine. This type of installation blocks upgrades, but not updates.

I finally got the procedure written and posted to my web site.  It doesn’t block updates, but it does block upgrades.  Not for the casual user, but much less labor intensive than the method needed for Windows 7.  It does have the advantage of increasing performance, stability, and IMHO, security.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Will Win10 1903 and 1909 co-exist?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.