News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Will Win10 1909 be "Ready for Business" if it shares 1903's servicing stack?

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Will Win10 1909 be "Ready for Business" if it shares 1903's servicing stack?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Jon
      AskWoody Plus

I work at a non-profit that has been procrastinating our Windows 10 migration until the final quarter before Windows 7 gets the boot on security updates on January 14th, 2020. I am sure we are not alone in not wanting to pay for per-device Windows 7 Extended Security Updates, though I am glad Microsoft announced (today) that they will be available to businesses of any size.

Since Windows 10 1903’s “Ready for Business” declaration, I have only updated a handful of devices around the office. Our non-profit is around 60-percent Windows 7 and 40-percent Windows 10. Of the Windows 10 machines, the majority are on a Windows 10 build that will be discontinued on November 12th (1803). Ideally, I would like to update all machines to Windows 10 1909 to ensure a longer servicing timeframe than 1903. But I would like to do this in a way that is considered “Ready for Business.”

In August, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlank from the Windows Insider Team wrote a blog post about how Windows 10 1903 (19H1) and 1909 (19H2) share the same servicing content, meaning they share the same Cumulative Update package.

If Windows 10 19H1 build 18362 is considered “Ready for Business,” and Windows 10 19H2 build 18363 will share the same Cumulative Update package, can we also consider Windows 10 19H2 “Ready for Business,” or does the 1909 “enablement package” still warrant a “proceed with caution” approach?

Also, how did Microsoft patch experts declare new service packs “safe for download” back in the days of Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP before Cumulative Updates were mandated in Microsoft’s new maintenance model for Windows 7/8.1/10 in October 2016?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  Jon.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  Jon.
    • #1971011 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Given the issues with 1903, many consider it not ready, but there are others who have no problems. It seems to me that if you don’t muck around with Windows too much – telemetry / phone home / apps – then 1903 is fine.

It’s too early to say whether 1909 is equally stable, but we’ve got a few months to find out before W7 starts to be left behind, so I would wait – I always prefer the do nothing option.
      I would also be creating a 1909 upgrade and installing it on a few “less critical” machines so that you are ready to go when required.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Will Win10 1909 be "Ready for Business" if it shares 1903's servicing stack?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.